Poll

Class or item

Class
Item

Author Topic: Choose class or items  (Read 1326 times)

Im making a war server and i am thinking if i should put class for players to choose or let them choose each item to have like in teznuis slopes ctf server. Wich one do you think is better

Classes have pretty much been the typical expectation of servers like this, might as well be different and go with items.

It depends on how structured you want things to be and it depends on what weapons you use.

Maybe you should host with one and ask the players what they think

I am going to put both thank you

classes.

items have the same inventory structure as classes but since you pick each one manually most players will lose out on good item synergy because they don't fully understand the game. the ones that do understand will obviously pick the best item combinations every time because they've minmaxed all the advantages and disadvantages of the weapons combos.

in a class structure you as the designer know the synergies of the game (since you designed it in some way) and therefore you can save everyone the trouble of having to discover the best item combos by giving it to them pre-made. it saves time for everyone except you as the designer who has to find and implement the synergies. it also allows you as the designer to visualize the synergies in an abstracted form and it will make it easier for you to tweak the classes to nerf/buff or emphasize the advantages of the items

in the end spiritual 'classes' will exist on the server, since all players will eventually know which items work with each other and always select the best combo. either you design the classes yourself or the playerbase will do it for you. the items that don't synergize will eventually just be underused

all of the above is my experience hosting class trench wars and tournaments. as far as gameplay goes, class trench wars was definitely more consistent and fun to play and design, while tournaments was a pain in the ass for everyone because it required so many isolated tweaks to the items
« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 07:10:39 PM by PhantOS »

What do you think if i have the class with a type of weapon to choose (for example machine gun class can choose from 2 different machine guns)

class 'variations' like that work better as unlockables. ideally they're both balanced with each other so that you don't have that whole spend points to kill people faster thing that most trench servers do