Has anyone hosted/played on a LAN server? What was it like?

Author Topic: Has anyone hosted/played on a LAN server? What was it like?  (Read 1038 times)

Nowadays, the age of LAN parties is essentially over. Sure, it can be fun to get your friends and their computers together to play some games, now that Internet speeds are fast enough and programs like Discord allow for easy voice chat, allowing for the experience to more or less be available over the Internet.

However, Blockland is a pretty old game, and it was around when LAN parties were still a thing. Of course most games were played over the Internet, but there's an option to only host your server over the LAN. Since playing over LAN bypassed the authentication, it meant that you could have a separate LAN name and anyone who played on your server would automatically have full trust with each other. It also meant that you only needed one Blockland key to host the server, the rest of the players could simply use the demo, whereas by connecting they would be freed of the brick limit and lack of add-ons and such.

I'm just wondering, about how often was this mode used? Unfortunately for me I never really got a chance to play on a LAN server other than just experimenting with it on my own, I was too young and my parents probably would not have liked it if I brought the family computer to someone's house. However, for the rest of you, how many of you got a use out of the LAN mode? Did anyone introduce the game to someone else through a LAN server? Heck, has anybody ever hosted/been to a LAN party where you guys played Blockland? I'm curious.

I briefly hosted a LAN server about two years ago for a day with two other people, I don't know of anyone else who used to use them.

It was interesting to see how it differed from single player and regular servers though. I had hatmod enabled on the LAN server and it couldn't keep track of which player was using which hat, whenever someone died they would respawn with whatever hat had last been put on by anyone. I also remember players could kill each other and get killed without having a minigame enabled. Everyone was treated as an admin too.
Was an interesting experience anyway, it was a lot like singleplayer but with multiple people.

I briefly hosted a LAN server about two years ago for a day with two other people, I don't know of anyone else who used to use them.

It was interesting to see how it differed from single player and regular servers though. I had hatmod enabled on the LAN server and it couldn't keep track of which player was using which hat, whenever someone died they would respawn with whatever hat had last been put on by anyone. I also remember players could kill each other and get killed without having a minigame enabled. Everyone was treated as an admin too.
Was an interesting experience anyway, it was a lot like singleplayer but with multiple people.
Huh, seems interesting. I could definitely see mods that rely on BLIDs would start to forget up.

around the time when i bought the game i used to play with my brother on lan, using just my key and two computers in the house