should i use cruise control for a long distance trip

Author Topic: should i use cruise control for a long distance trip  (Read 2828 times)

lol I literally use cruise control in the city whenever its not stop and go traffic. Anything over 35 mph. Just easier to not accidentally speed that way.
exactly. how u gonna say "cruise control" is scary bro

cruise control is typically better for your fuel economy too. its nice

why would you not use it? do you not like saving money? cruise control will save you a good amount in gas round trip.

Part of my traction control and cruise control is shutting off my engine when my speed gets too high, and it ALWAYS scares me.

Part of my traction control and cruise control is shutting off my engine when my speed gets too high, and it ALWAYS scares me.
lol bro, wtf do you drive?

lol bro, wtf do you drive?
03 Silverado 2500HD Duramax.
It spooks me everytime because the RPMs go from 1k to either bottoms out or 500, and it gets too quite for a straight piped piece of stuff.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2020, 08:43:45 PM by plad101 »

turn right and crash

Instructions unclear. Currently awaiting roadside assistance.

Instructions unclear. Currently awaiting roadside assistance.
yeah its cause u turned left instead of right

turn left to turn right

i'm not luxury so i dont even have cruise control

03 Silverado 2500HD Duramax.
It spooks me everytime because the RPMs go from 1k to either bottoms out or 500, and it gets too quite for a straight piped piece of stuff.
Oh god do you have one of those 468 engines that turns off individual cylinders adaptively? I've heard those engines are a god damn nightmare to work on lol. If the car is an automatic I wouldn't worry about RPM's dropping low, you only have to worry about this in manuals cause you'll just straight up stall the car. My 03 cadillac deville will drop below 1000 in idle too.

I don't even understand the purpose of 468's. Is it for people who don't know that they should just drive in 3rd when towing stuff? It's a big WTF to me.

Also Damp, the answer to your question depends on who you ask. Some people don't like cruise because they feel like they aren't in control of the car, and others like it because it's just one less thing to worry about (keeping a steady speed). You can turn off cruise control at will, so I suggest trying it and if you don't like it simply just turn it off. Personally I'd use it if I know I'm not gonna be stopping for a good while.

-snip-
No no no, the Duramax started in 01, its not a 468 its the 6.6l Turbo Diesel which is the successor to the 6.5l Detroit diesel. I was testing it on a drive recently and it just drops to 500rpm and still runs the motor It's just so quiet compared to standard idle and driving so I thought it was off. I mean 500rpm on a motor that runs at like 1k normally always spooks me.

No no no, the Duramax started in 01, its not a 468 its the 6.6l Turbo Diesel which is the successor to the 6.5l Detroit diesel. I was testing it on a drive recently and it just drops to 500rpm and still runs the motor It's just so quiet compared to standard idle and driving so I thought it was off. I mean 500rpm on a motor that runs at like 1k normally always spooks me.
Is it some weird fuel economy thing?

why worry about cruise control when youre in a 2006 deathbox going 55 in a 35 with utterly forgeted suspension and rapidly failing transmission

i just use my child's carseat he doesn't mind