Author Topic: any clientmodding tutorials?  (Read 1873 times)

i can't find any clientmodding tutorials, and i'm hoping to make one soon. does anyone have a guide handy?

What do you mean "client modding"? If you mean making a client-sided mod, it really all depends on what the personw wants to do.

torque's ui tool and programming is based around margins/anchors/inheritance as most ui controls are made. if you know torquescript and you know css-style ui/ux positioning (composites + anchors + relative resizing) then you'll be ready to work with blockland client modifications. if you don't know either of these you shouldn't bother jumping into client ui yet

if you want to do headless client stuff like chatbots just preemptively kill yourself on the spot

if you're really itching for a client project, don't do what i did and jump into uis not knowing what i was doing unless you have experience in BL's ui already
try something simple to understand and avoid using any server commands:

Create a simple console bot or a chat bot that only you can see and your commands aren't sent to the server (see below for ideas). I am ignoring other methods in common chat bots.
   - Hint: use newChatHud_AddLine(%stringLine) for adding chats in-game for yourself
          package   void          NMH_Type::send(%chatObj) - used to send what you typed in chat, use this for modding what you send (this is actually how sending a command to the server works via "/")
                    string        %chatObj.getValue() - value of what you typed in chat
                    ?????         %chatObj.setValue(%str) - modify chat typed value

Related ideas: making a simple chat bot game that stores memory || sending eval via NMHType::send()

if you're really itching for a client project, don't do what i did and jump into uis not knowing what i was doing unless you have experience in BL's ui already

Create a simple console bot or a chat bot that only you can see and your commands aren't sent to the server (see below for ideas). I am ignoring other methods in common chat bots.
   - Hint: use newChatHud_AddLine(%stringLine) for adding chats in-game for yourself
          package   void          NMH_Type::send(%chatObj) - used to send what you typed in chat, use this for modding what you send (this is actually how sending a command to the server works via "/")

Related ideas: making a simple chat bot game that stores memory || sending eval via NMHType::send()
[PhantoBOT] that's great and all but did you know that 28345 lines of chat have been spoken on this server?

chatbots are great practice to get familiar with torquescript but encouraging people to use NMH_Type::Send or messageSent really isn't it. it's annoying to have people who are slightly savvy with the scripts just flood the chat with useless garbage that doesn't really need to be known. people should just feed the messages to the console or print to their client so that they can get all the info they want without having to annoyingly flex and fill the screen

chatbot games and random name generators get the exception because they're interactive/creative/funny. the related ideas are pretty good and they teach the more core concepts of torquescript in an easy to interface with way. I know you said "that aren't sent to the server" but people will usually grasp onto that first and make chatbots just for the sake of publicizing the bot.

this is a good starting resource, good job
« Last Edit: July 25, 2020, 04:21:46 PM by PhantOS »

mate you are ubercool, once i get pc set up i'm def going to start doin this stuff