popular twitter accounts get hacked with cryptocurrency scams

Author Topic: popular twitter accounts get hacked with cryptocurrency scams  (Read 2162 times)

If ur dumb enough to believe the Joe Biden one lol I mean his supporters are dumb but I mean

everyone believed the mr beast one

everyone believed the mr beast one
I mean, if you don't know that other verified accounts are tweeting exactly the same thing, then I guess it's more likely for his crowd to believe it, since he's a well known philanthropist. Though the 'down-payment' should have given them a clue.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2020, 02:27:27 PM by bloody jumper »

probably most of the people who got scammed believed phishing attacks only happen over email and thought "huh must be some weird publicity stunt" i mean yah it's a weird thing to happen but there's been weirder things before

This could be really bad for twitter.

Lmfao, can't wait to see what happens.

hopin for twitter to finally eat stuff and die

https://twitter.com/FireSisterBee/status/1283519607496744960?s=19
5000+ people have fallen for this lol
where did that guy get that from? it's not even a tenth of that
https://www.blockchain.com/btc/address/bc1qxy2kgdygjrsqtzq2n0yrf2493p83kkfjhx0wlh
it's still over 100k USD equivalent (although actually getting that much of it in real USD is an entirely different matter), but it's not that much

where did that guy get that from? it's not even a tenth of that
https://www.blockchain.com/btc/address/bc1qxy2kgdygjrsqtzq2n0yrf2493p83kkfjhx0wlh
it's still over 100k USD equivalent (although actually getting that much of it in real USD is an entirely different matter), but it's not that much
its also entirely possible that the scammer did some transfers themselves to make it appear legitimate
btw this whole "send me bitcoin and i will double it!" scam has been around for quite a while except this time instead of using impersonation accounts they managed to forget with actual accounts, high profile ones at that. apparently the scammer used their access to twitter's admin tools to change the confirmation email on accounts and then proceeded to gain control over them
« Last Edit: July 16, 2020, 06:44:45 PM by Mr Queeba »

its also entirely possible that the scammer did some transfers themselves to make it appear legitimate
that page shows the number of transactions the wallet has made (392 as opposed to the tweet's supposed 5314) and the total quantity of bitcoin it has received, regardless of what has also been sent
you are right to assume that they've since transferred nearly all of it elsewhere, though, as you can also see on the page, they have sent all but 0.0089 btc (like $80) to other wallets

I was watching the wallets receive transactions yesterday. When I went to bed it had recieved like 12 BTC total and sent out like 5-6. I woke up and checked and looks like whoever is behind this transfered the rest.

I wonder if i could make a script to see where these went, I'm sure theres a list of addresses used by exchanges

I was watching the wallets receive transactions yesterday. When I went to bed it had recieved like 12 BTC total and sent out like 5-6. I woke up and checked and looks like whoever is behind this transfered the rest.
I wonder if i could make a script to see where these went, I'm sure theres a list of addresses used by exchanges
the website I linked links to the wallets that each transaction sent bitcoin to. the wallets they sent it to have done nothing but send it to other wallets, which have sent it to other wallets
you could follow all the chains to their final (for now) destinations, but ultimately, it's unlikely that they're going to try to collect all of it in a single wallet anywhere. there's no reason to, as bitcoin wallets are entirely free to create

[comin in here hot with little bitcoin knowledge]

you wouldn't even be able to tell which bitcoin addresses are part of the scam or legitimate transactions, it's the digital equivalent of, or actually just straight up money laundering

its nothing like money laundering. its the fact wallets are almost totally anonymous. you wouldnt call watching anonymous people passing a $1 bill around money laundering. or at least i hope you wouldnt.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2020, 09:25:30 PM by Conan »

its nothing like money laundering. its the fact wallets are almost totally anonymous. you wouldnt call watching anonymous people passing a $1 bill around money laundering. or at least i hope you wouldnt.
lamof do you know what money laundering is? it's just that but with actual accounting information in place