Sky Marshals

Author Topic: Sky Marshals  (Read 1206 times)

A brand new game to Blockland! I've been working on this game for a couple months now and it's getting close to a playable state. More progress on this game. Most of the bugs have been fixed since last testing session. Hope to test it this week.

A map with new airline with murder in the air. (Achernar)

Discord: https://discord.gg/bVXwust

The Game:
You are on a plane but something is horribly wrong! A dangerous group of hijackers known as the Space Pirates looking to take the plane and everyone on it! Luckily the Sky Marshals, a elite force of retired plane pilots are here to save the plane and it's passengers. You are given a random role between Space Pirate, Sky Marshal, Pilot, and Passenger. Although, only the Space Pirates and Sky Marshals know who their teammates are. There is a peaceful way of figuring out who is who though. Everyone is given an item to other people identify them by their role. Passengers are given passports with their face on it while Space Pirates only have stolen passports with someone else's face on it. Sky Marshals have badges to help them not to be killed in the chaos that ensues.

How To Win:
Everyone must stop the Space Pirates although this is easier said than done as the large majority of people on this plane don't even know who's good or evil.

The Space Pirates must break into the cabin and fly the plane back to their base without being killed in the process.

There are two important tools that can help either side in all of this. zip tie and Cutters. You can restrain anyone with a zip tie and they remain restrained until someone can free them with a cutter. Once restrained all of your items are dropped and the only thing you can do is sit and wait for someone to save you.

Although it seems like this is a fight between only two sides there's a third side too. If the plane remains unpiloted for too long it's gonna plummet and crash into the ground, making everyone lose.

I'm not a formatting god but I hope you enjoyed reading the game overview. Please ask questions if you're curious about anything.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2020, 02:02:15 AM by Monoblaster4 »

its nice people are still dedicating time and effort into gamemodes these days.

the glaring problem i see with the design pattern of giving people confirmation items like the badge is that it's way too overpowered. anyone who has a grasp on the game and is a marshal can basically just take control of the entire game and organize all the town members instantly in order to weed out the murderers. it guarantees an easy win to those who play the game right and makes it entirely unfair for the people who wanted to have fun playing the game and solving the mystery, and the murderers.

the passport system is a very cheap and lazy counterclaim mechanic. being a murderer and being singled out in any way is bad. once its discovered that you or the other person have the same passport, you've been narrowed down as a suspect and a simple process of elimination can get you killed, crippling your entire team.

its nice people are still dedicating time and effort into gamemodes these days.

the glaring problem i see with the design pattern of giving people confirmation items like the badge is that it's way too overpowered. anyone who has a grasp on the game and is a marshal can basically just take control of the entire game and organize all the town members instantly in order to weed out the murderers. it guarantees an easy win to those who play the game right and makes it entirely unfair for the people who wanted to have fun playing the game and solving the mystery, and the murderers.

the passport system is a very cheap and lazy counterclaim mechanic. being a murderer and being singled out in any way is bad. once its discovered that you or the other person have the same passport, you've been narrowed down as a suspect and a simple process of elimination can get you killed, crippling your entire team.
This is definitely a worry about the game design and could work in theory. I'll just have to see in testing. I doubt that it can work but I'll have to see. All items are currently dropped on death or being restrained which could lead to very chaotic game play. Including a Space Pirate posing as a Sky Marshal just because they have a badge. I may make it where these items don't drop just just because zip ties can be a little over powered.

get one person to pilot, watch all exits, and forcibly check everyone's passport and if they refuse to give it to you, kill them. unless you implement a super strict rdm rule i don't see why you couldn't just do that

Sky Marshals and Space Pirates have guns that they start with. Sorry for not making this clear. So if someone asks you for a passport you can just shoot them.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2020, 08:10:06 PM by Monoblaster4 »

i don’t care how flawed the server is from a game design perspective
this gamemode is chaotic fun and nothing else

All items are currently dropped on death or being restrained which could lead to very chaotic game play. Including a Space Pirate posing as a Sky Marshal just because they have a badge.
holy stuff that's an actual valid game mechanic. please keep it wow

this looks soooooooooo cool it looks like one of the best games in the entire world!!!!!!!!!!!

Update: New Map by Achernar!