Facebook can delete your stuff now

Author Topic: Facebook can delete your stuff now  (Read 2978 times)

honestly this is why i just don't use social media. never used anything except reddit and i'm glad to say i dumped that stuffhole years ago
what kind of stuff do you want to post on social media that ends up getting deleted to the point where you pass on using it at all? sounds like you should like... try 4chan or something..?

what kind of stuff do you want to post on social media that ends up getting deleted to the point where you pass on using it at all? sounds like you should like... try 4chan or something..?
bruh, i stopped using them because they all suck. facebook is a huge echo chamber, twitter is a stuff zone, tumblr is laughable, reddit is reddit, etc etc

plus they all harvest your data and sell it to the ccp

hasnt this always been the case

14 and not using social media

In my opinion, the only things of value social media has to offer is the ability to keep up with friends, and get news quickly. Other than that, it's really just a cancer on the psyche. All you see, every day, is people arguing and bickering along with humanity sinking to new lows. It's just not worth engaging in. I only use Reddit, and even then I mainly on use it for r/lfg posts about finding D&D games. I cut out Twitter a few months ago, and my life is better for it.

legit i have no clue what people are talking about when they complain about social media being toxic with people arguing n stuff. my twitter feed is like nearly entirely apolitical because they give you the option to follow who you want to follow. all i get is funny pictures of bare asscheeks photoshopped onto doom guy's ass and gman doing a funny dance
« Last Edit: October 03, 2020, 12:58:49 PM by Gytyyhgfffff »

I just get boomer shooter memes and research, the way Twitter should be.

honestly this is why i just don't use social media. never used anything except reddit and i'm glad to say i dumped that stuffhole years ago

You're on social media right now. Discord is social media too. Literally any space you convene and share content is social media.

Facebook is a private company, not the US government or some public space. They can sensor whatever the forget they want, like it or not.

And yeah basically this. Its hilarious how many people try to pull the "MUH FREE SPEECH" card, but fail to realize it only applies to the govt, and doesn't stop private companies or individuals from letting you know you're a loving idiot and deleting your content.

legit i have no clue what people are talking about when they complain about social media being toxic with people arguing n stuff. my twitter feed is like nearly entirely apolitical because they give you the option to follow who you want to follow. all i get is funny pictures of bare asscheeks photoshopped onto doom guy's ass and gman doing a funny dance

And this is the crux of it. You allow whatever kind of garbage on your feed as you will. If you don't want stuffty timelines, stop following stuffty content.

Let me put it this way, the people I thought I wanted to follow are almost constantly arguing or retweeting stupid stuff. To the point where the people I can follow that don't bicker is extremely small. It's just not worth the time.

fair enough, i had a few people i wanted to follow who were like that as well

The xxyyzz is a private company idea is a loving joke. Companies that large that have a platform built around speech don't get to choose what they want to see.

The xxyyzz is a private company idea is a loving joke. Companies that large that have a platform built around speech don't get to choose what they want to see.
Except they do and can, and have full legal right.

i dont really see how this is any different than any other website deleting stuff that doesn't fit their terms of service, unless it specifically applies to unpopular opinions

tbh I agree with this. Sure, the companies have full legal right to delete stuff, but when a platform like facebook or twitter is such a major medium for the public's communication in the world, I dont think it's the right thing for them to do.

Except they do and can, and have full legal right.

Here's the issue. Companies like Twitter, YouTube, Facebook, Instagram, Twitch etc. want to act like they're a private company, who is allowed to ban anyone, on any grounds, promoting the content THEY want to promote. That would be all good and well... if they weren't covered by Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act. An act which protects big tech companies from lawsuits.
You can't be both a private company, who is allowed to limit the speech that they deem offensive, but then hide behind the Government when someone takes offence to it. If companies like Google/YouTube, Twitch, Facebook/Instagram, Snapchat, Reddit, Twitter etc. want to be treated like a private company, then they should allow the Government to take their protections away.

how does the act protect the companies from lawsuits? what kind of lawsuits? that seems like a major point in determining if its right or wrong for them to “hide behind the act”