essay tips

Author Topic: essay tips  (Read 4332 times)

i'm doin an essay right now, due soon

essays suck, send tips ;-;

On what?

If its something I'm passionate about, I can ramble about it for pages.

Don't use conjunctions, "it's" and "you're" become "it is" and "you are". Helps with word counts, and makes your essay read more formally. Either properly set up a transition when you're ending a paragraph and writing a new one, or if it's your conclusion, make sure the last sentence has an air of finality and it ends on a high note, so it can properly recognized as the ending, and not just another bit of information. If you're looking to make the essay look longer than it really is, larger font, a different font that takes up more space, or make it double-spaced, if any of that is allowed. However, usually if you properly research your topic, you'll have more than enough to talk about.

active verbs - avoid is/are/have/were/etc as much as possible to make ur writing sound more emphatic

sentences using them sound more plain and boring than active verbs
its not good to use purely active or passive verbs, just use passive ones when ur making more broad statements and active when you're trying to drive a point home.

blockland is the most moddable game of all time
vs
blockland set a standard by being the most moddable game of all time
« Last Edit: April 10, 2021, 08:26:05 PM by Conan »

exactly what about the topics you focus on changes how the writing sounds. writing structured around straight facts directly related to the topic sound more plain, while writing structured around eventual effects and outcomes sound more emphatic and impressive
mostly applies to writing about yourself, but also extends to other things as well.

as a blockland addon developer, i designed and wrote mods and gamemodes from the ground up, using 3d modeling tools and scripting references.
vs
as a blockland addon developer, i drew hundreds of players to my servers and pushed forward the modding scene with the mods and gamemodes i made.

start with an incredibly controversial opening statement, then spend the rest of the paper explaining that you really didn't mean it

one of the things i have learned over the past couple of years is to try not to overuse the comma. re-read your sentences and if you notice any pauses that seem awkward, you may want to remove them.

example:
i walked around the park today, and it felt great.
vs.
i walked around the park today and it felt great.

Make yourself sound like a nerd and use big words

finished my essay in the middle of the night. damn thats hard... and tedious

start with an incredibly controversial opening statement, then spend the rest of the paper explaining that you really didn't mean it
i DEFINITELY did this

Make yourself sound like a nerd and use big words
i watch myself to make sure i don't do it obnoxiously

Don't use conjunctions, "it's" and "you're" become "it is" and "you are". Helps with word counts, and makes your essay read more formally. Either properly set up a transition when you're ending a paragraph and writing a new one, or if it's your conclusion, make sure the last sentence has an air of finality and it ends on a high note, so it can properly recognized as the ending, and not just another bit of information. If you're looking to make the essay look longer than it really is, larger font, a different font that takes up more space, or make it double-spaced, if any of that is allowed. However, usually if you properly research your topic, you'll have more than enough to talk about.
making your periods size 14 is a classic manuever, though it'd probably get caught and then i'll get a 0
i tend not to use conjunctions but it really does make the paper sound dry

one of the things i have learned over the past couple of years is to try not to overuse the comma. re-read your sentences and if you notice any pauses that seem awkward, you may want to remove them.
i keep this in mind, as well as overusing dashes- this action here- because i use it a lot for flowing note-taking

these are... complicated
i'm pretty sure i do these, i'm just not really aware of it
definitely something to keep in mind

in summary, thanks for ze tips. this concludes my essay, be sure to like & subscribe
also writing papers is a slog