Defenitive Film Making Thread - Techniques, Resources and Discussion

Author Topic: Defenitive Film Making Thread - Techniques, Resources and Discussion  (Read 5607 times)

Welcome to the Definitive Film Making Thread, this was created to cover all topics related to film-making in Blockland, such as techniques, essential add-ons, software, and the process of filming from start to finish.

The Basics
There are the five steps you should take when starting out as a film-maker.

Step 1. Gather these resources: A screen recorder, video editor, and a purchased copy of Blockland (you'll need the purchased version to access add-ons.)

Step 2. Download these specific add-ons (they can all be found on the Blockland Forums, or Blockland Glass):
  • Script_FilmMode
    Hides your HUD (Tool menu, chat, paint menu, bricks, etc.) to remove distractions from the frame. Can be toggled by keybinds.
  • Client_NewtonianCamera (Optional)
    Smoothes camera movements, allowing for organic motion. Can be toggled by keybinds.
  • Server_ControlPlayer
    Allows you to improve the composition of your videos by positioning your admin camera wherever you need, and entering the command "/controlplayer" in chat.
  • Script_HoldToTalk
    Mimics chat animation on command, making lip-syncing characters easier. Activates via keybind.

Step 3. Begin getting used to using key binds for actions, and challenge your ability to portray emotion through your avatar. You can do this on your own server, or during a rehearsal.

Step 4. Trial and error. Use your developed skill set to create your own videos. Don't stress about quality or professionalism early on, everyone has to start somewhere.

Step 5 (optional.) Do collaborations whenever the opportunity arises. It's a great way to develop your skills, meet other film makers, and develop a portfolio. Just be sure that the crew you're working with credits you for your work.

Resources
A collection of commonly used add-ons that make film-making easier.

Previously Mentioned:

Tutorials
A compilation of player-created tutorials.

I've wrangled up a playlist on my YouTube channel dedicated to video-making tutorials. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLij1vdT5DpVzrk4QlE3xzZk3ksCdYnweT
Some of the videos in this may be antiquated, although considering the popularity of older Blockland clients and the B4v21 mod, maybe if you're going for a classic  2007 - 2010 style of machinima, they may serve food-for-thought. Each video series offers different tips, created by different people with different mindsets; therefor you may want to watch multiple videos to get a wider range of information, and if you're still curious you should continue searching for more tutorials.

Film Clans
Creating and joining film clans.

A film clan is a collection of people who all collaborate under the same title, and work on projects as a team. Each film clan is different, sometimes a clan is created just to produce one project or series, and other film clans may form in the spur of a moment. There aren't many concrete rules as to how a film clan needs to be run, what quantifies a film clan, or what indicates that it is successful. These are all subjective, and can vary from clan to clan.

When joining a film clan, it's important to consult the leader(s) to see what their goals, expectations, and methods are. For example: If you're an aspiring, determined film maker who takes film-making seriously, it's best not to join a layed-back film clan where the crew works at their own pace and decides their own goals - and vice versa.

If you plan to create a film clan, you should start out small and work your way up to larger projects. It's best create a video by any means available to demonstrate your capabilities. Utilizing communication services is important to organizing a clan, such as The Blockland Forums, or any instant-messaging program that suites you (Discord is the most popular.) Advertising your film clan should be done anyway you see fit. You'll see many clan leaders advertise on the Clan Discussion section of Blockland Forums, with film clans added to the mix. You can also advertise by word of mouth and watermarking your videos.

Here are a general collection of film clans with open admissions, found both on the forums and through Discord. Listed alphabetically. [Check back later, more will be compiled.]
FAQs
As questions arise, and are frequently asked, they will be addressed here.
[/list][/list][/list]
« Last Edit: May 21, 2021, 01:04:25 PM by Mr.Annoying »

You should add Script_Filmbots in the add-ons list, it allows you to record your movements and then it's replayed as a bot, you can do as many as you want and it can be very useful for when you don't have enough players to join your server, here's a video I made by solely using bots.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTPqbKkXdi0

This video was also made with just Filmbots.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyznRrfdgN4
« Last Edit: April 30, 2021, 06:02:13 PM by Filipe »

You should add Script_Filmbots in the add-ons list, it allows you to record your movements and then it's replayed as a bot, you can do as many as you want and it can be very useful for when you don't have enough players to join your server, here's a video I made by solely using bots.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTPqbKkXdi0

This video was also made with just Filmbots.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyznRrfdgN4

Great suggestion! I plan to expand this list and gradually transition from the basics, to the complex (hence why I have dividers to separate topics) and I will definitely add FilmBots down the line. This thread is in its' infancy right now.

What do you use to record blockland

I use SimpleScreenRecorder, it's a Linux-native program.

What do you use to record blockland

any software can work

best imo is OBS, very fast to setup and practically works with anything

i use shadow play from geforce experience just for the ease of allowing me to record previous 5 minutes all the time at highest resolution, 60fps

i use shadow play from geforce experience just for the ease of allowing me to record previous 5 minutes all the time at highest resolution, 60fps
If you're signed into the Xbox App on Windows 10, you can also use the game bar to record previous minutes of gameplay, not sure about the resolution and FPS though

I've used the Xbox App method on my other computer, which would be a Windows 10, and I gotta say it's not very easy. The delay when you press record is ridiculous, it's something like 5-8 seconds. Although the recordings were always good.

If you're signed into the Xbox App on Windows 10, you can also use the game bar to record previous minutes of gameplay, not sure about the resolution and FPS though
I've used the Xbox App method on my other computer, which would be a Windows 10, and I gotta say it's not very easy. The delay when you press record is ridiculous, it's something like 5-8 seconds. Although the recordings were always good.

it all depends on how you setup the recording

these are the settings i use, i keep the bit rate very high to keep the quality as high as possible on my "in-game" monitor resolution
a 5 minute video is usually about 1GB large but its all very high quality for me at least

it all depends on how you setup the recording

these are the settings i use, i keep the bit rate very high to keep the quality as high as possible on my "in-game" monitor resolution
a 5 minute video is usually about 1GB large but its all very high quality for me at least

I do think the quality of the footage is great. But, the delay between pressing "record" and the game being recorded messes up my work flow, which was a huge turn-off.

I do think the quality of the footage is great. But, the delay between pressing "record" and the game being recorded messes up my work flow, which was a huge turn-off.

its more of a preference for me, you're free to use any other software

If anyone has any videos, threads or add-ons that should be compiled, or if there are any ways to improve this thread, let me know. There's no such thing as too much information here.

I've created a series to review Blockland films and critique them.

Introducing
Brik Flix: The Blockland Video Review Show.
PeerTube: https://peertube.tv/videos/watch/8089b0f4-ee73-476c-b8fb-31d6b05d1c2e
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EBwJmUzZgc

Baked (40609) joins me to review Legopepper's (3763) 2010 machinima, Restaurant Thief.
The two of us discuss the video's strengths, weaknesses, and what it had to offer.

Here's the full thread: https://forum.blockland.us/index.php?topic=327201.0
« Last Edit: May 21, 2021, 01:04:05 PM by Mr.Annoying »

If anyone has any videos, threads or add-ons that should be compiled, or if there are any ways to improve this thread, let me know. There's no such thing as too much information here.
What about good effects for reshade

What about good effects for reshade

you can get a lot of good effects done with the actual environment settings as well as in post. arguably it'd look better in post

the only effects i can definitely suggest using are anti aliasing effects such as FXAA or SMAA, and maybe an effect that sharpens the shots

i cant give an exact side by side preview

excluding the soft shaders, this is the raw footage from one of our videos we are making. with only FXAA, SMAA and Vibrance with an environment to suit our needs

nothing done in post production, all from in-game as well as some reshade