The Linux Thread | Useful tools inside.

Author Topic: The Linux Thread | Useful tools inside.  (Read 5632 times)

Going to be taking a bunch of software engineering classes soon and I have no idea if running Linux will make things harder for me or not
when I studied computer science they told me I had to crash course linux or I would fail but in the 4 years I studied I never touched it once

when I studied computer science they told me I had to crash course linux or I would fail but in the 4 years I studied I never touched it once
Lucky, I had to learn redhat in and out. However its been a long time and I havent used it so I forgot alot of stuff. Not even counting how much the linux scene has changed since then, I would have NEVER considered linux as a replacement home desktop. . . but now it seems feasible.

I promise you steam is selling your data. And. . . tbh you cant get around steam.
That's not entirely true. You can certainly force software like steam to run in a sandbox. And GOG is a thing I guess.
But anyways, I will be making the switch today on my main pc. We will see how it goes. Wish me luck.
Don't forget to turn off secure boot before installing Linux. Assuming your PC has that in the bios.

Do you recommend any distro's?

Pop_OS

unironically you can do this but refusing to learn something in CS mostly means you are limiting your opportunities. i wouldnt recommend that

personal experience: you can get by not doing a lot of things in CS, but the best people in CS/programming/dev are those who aren't afraid to learn new stuff.push their boundaries. unfortunately for me im the kind of person who lazes out and doesn't try to push my boundaries much

the more I foam at the mouth about windows 10 insanity the more I want to use linux but switching OS in the middle of my studies probably would've harmed my grades if anything

unfortunately for me im the kind of person who lazes out and doesn't try to push my boundaries much
personally I am crippled by imposter syndrome

the more I foam at the mouth about windows 10 insanity the more I want to use linux but switching OS in the middle of my studies probably would've harmed my grades if anything

Try it on an old laptop or secondary desktop if you have one to use.

But yeah. It's not worth loving your workflow up in the middle of something important.

But on the other side when you get used to a linux workflow, youll be surprised how much quicker things get done.

The deed is done. Thanks for the pop os suggestion, tried unbuntu, then mint, and now pop os. I like pop os so far and Think I will stick with it as it likes my gpu out of the box and I am getting tired of testing distros.
Was not difficult at all in install, and so far, everything just works.
Quickly configured gnome to what im used to. May change it back much later.
Not my wallpaper, just some default one.
obviously I just finished and have not reinstalled everything yet. Thanks for the suggestion, I am here to stay.
GOODBYE WINDOWS!

The deed is done. Thanks for the pop os suggestion, tried unbuntu, then mint, and now pop os. I like pop os so far and Think I will stick with it as it likes my gpu out of the box and I am getting tired of testing distros.
Was not difficult at all in install, and so far, everything just works.
Quickly configured gnome to what im used to. May change it back much later.
Not my wallpaper, just some default one.
obviously I just finished and have not reinstalled everything yet. Thanks for the suggestion, I am here to stay.
GOODBYE WINDOWS!

PopOS has been the most reliable distro to me so far tbh.

If you're looking go settle and not distro hop. Pop_OS is a good landing spot.

Also the versatility ane variety of Gnome is just astounding.

Mine is setup like MacOS kinda. You'res looks almost like windows.

Amazing how well it can resize itself for other situations

Well, ill miss you linux, our times were nice, albeit for a day. Off to windows server standard but im not using it for servers. Linux not being able to run Visual Studio Pro is sadly a dealbreaker as I am involved in several projects that require it. Plus I am badly missing the adobe workflow that I had. You will be missed linux. I wanted to make it work.

Well, ill miss you linux, our times were nice, albeit for a day. Off to windows server standard but im not using it for servers. Linux not being able to run Visual Studio Pro is sadly a dealbreaker as I am involved in several projects that require it. Plus I am badly missing the adobe workflow that I had. You will be missed linux. I wanted to make it work.
It's not worth loving your workflow up in the middle of something important.

Seriously, try Linux on a secondary or older pc and see if you can get it to comform to your workflow or adapt to it's.

Don't try and "convert". I understand the temptation, because Microsoft is a stuffshow of a company, and Windows is spyware.
But it will result in immediate discomfort to the level of rejection if you don't dip your toes in and instead decide to jump off doing a quadruple back-flip into the deep end.

No matter how good another OS or even a another toolset is, it's worthless if you aren't comfortable using it.

But yeah. It's not worth loving your workflow up in the middle of something important.

I think I missed that earlier. Either way well said and thanks for the adventure. Once I figure things out, I now know pop os is there.

Linux is daily proving to me that Windows only has a foothold in desktop computers for having precedent.

Imagine having to restart your pc for every update.

https://ladyoak.com/how-to-install-adobe-creative-cloud-apps-on-linux/

This is no magic bullet, nor will it work for everyone.

But it is available, and works very well for most.

some distros can be finicky tho.