Hot Take: Let's Players are Good Actually

Author Topic: Hot Take: Let's Players are Good Actually  (Read 2727 times)

YouTube Search: Game LP No Commentary. We've all been there. We've all tried to be one.

But I had this wild realization that only the old guard gamerstm would truly understand. Let's players have always been good.

It's cool to rag on the ol' Game Grumps or Markipliers for being tired sell-outs to the YouTube corporate regime but their content is, I think actually, wholesome.

As someone far too socially miscalculated as myself to actually watch some stream live knowing they can see my name in the chat- to be perceived at all? Let's Play give you that sense of internet community with a known and liked personality leading without any of the poggers or memes.

Don't get me wrong, streaming is a natural evolution of the art and it should continue moving forward as it has, but the LP community big hitters who still produce weekly to even daily comfort content for so many? Yeah, I give more of a stuff than I might have.

What are your thoughts?

hard to find a youtuber who strikes the right balance between gameplay, commentary, and gameplay skill imo. the commentary itself might also be good, but end up annoying based on the player’s voice.

only lets player personality I have ever been into is jerma. and I've been watching him since his tf2 videos back in 2013. no other human being competes with his charm

still better than journalists

Markiplier and Pewdiepie are both funny, but I just get annoyed at how bad they are at games, same with game grumps. The only daily content creators I watch is OneyPlays because they're loving hilarious 24/7, and Turin only because I'm obsessed with Total War: Warhammer at the moment.

theradbrad is great at LP's and bad at games

Markiplier and Pewdiepie are both funny, but I just get annoyed at how bad they are at games, same with game grumps. The only daily content creators I watch is OneyPlays because they're loving hilarious 24/7, and Turin only because I'm obsessed with Total War: Warhammer at the moment.

Ok OneyPlays is genuinely still good and I think always has been.

The grumps are terrible at video games, though I find that to be apart of the charm sometimes in watching Arin just royally forget it up while Dan laughs at him.

hard to find a youtuber who strikes the right balance between gameplay, commentary, and gameplay skill imo. the commentary itself might also be good, but end up annoying based on the player’s voice.
TheRadBrad is my go-to for lets plays.  He's not annoying, doesn't talk during cut-scenes, is really good at video games, and plays every videogame known to man.  Also, he has a daughter which he left a time capsule in the last of us for her once he passes away, so he is also wholesome as stuff.

raocow still going strong after 10 years. most of my vocabulary is taken from him when i try to stream

John Wolfe and ManlyBadassHero, that's about it in terms of "Let's Players" in the traditional sense that i enjoy. when it comes to video game content in general, my faves are Call Me Kevin, OneyPlays (can you call them "let's plays" in a traditional sense?), Jerma, Skooch, ChillingSmite, ambiguousamphibian, Hugo One, Matthewmatosis, Joseph Anderson, EZScape, Nakey Jakey, Karl Jobst, Super Bunnyhop, and probably a couple others i'm forgetting at the moment.

-snip-

ManlyBadassHero I actually just discovered recently and I really like his stuff a lot but I obviously can't watch it at night because horror games.

Nakey Jakey and Super Bunnyhop make some great essay videos, in that same vein I'd also say like Raycevick, GmanLives, and Civvie 11 are some of my absolute favorites.

Never thought lets players were bad. 99% are just so damn annoying. Really got to shovel through the feces to find the gems.

Chuggaconroy is pretty good, used to watch his Okami playthroughs