I hope to God Brickadia is not most Blockland players choice as a successor

Author Topic: I hope to God Brickadia is not most Blockland players choice as a successor  (Read 23417 times)

kinda conflicted on the microbricks. seen a lot of cool and detailed stuff made with them but they totally clash with normal lego bricks
you can just not use them. it's literally that easy

you can just not use them. it's literally that easy
i do not have control over the things that other people build

I never really understood the reason for hating microbricks because "It doesn't look like Legos anymore", it's not like Brickadia advertises itself as a Lego-like sandbox game, just that it's a successor to Blockland, which is based off of Legos, but that never meant that Brickadia had to follow suit

My main issue with microbricks is that due to the beveled edge look of bricks in general, stuff made out of microbricks can look noisy from a distance, because it's just waves of beveled edges at a certain point, like the wheels in this picture

Maybe it would look better if you could toggle the brick textures between normal/beveled and smooth per-brick, like using Blockland's printer to make print bricks blank

I never really understood the reason for hating microbricks because "It doesn't look like Legos anymore", it's not like Brickadia advertises itself as a Lego-like sandbox game, just that it's a successor to Blockland, which is based off of Legos, but that never meant that Brickadia had to follow suit

Then why have any creative limitations at all? Let's just let players place vertices and arbitrarily connect them into faces and extrude them to form bricks. Then we don't even have to build in Brickadia, we can just do it in Blender and import it via a script.

i do not have control over the things that other people build
ok but who tf cares what other people build. like close ur eyes bitch. it's ok

I wholeheartedly agree. When you allow the player to extrude legos, they aren’t legos. The line between mesh and Lego is thin, and brickadia wants to throw it out the window.
We already have blender.

Then why have any creative limitations at all? Let's just let players place vertices and arbitrarily connect them into faces and extrude them to form bricks. Then we don't even have to build in Brickadia, we can just do it in Blender and import it via a script.
I wholeheartedly agree. When you allow the player to extrude legos, they aren’t legos. The line between mesh and Lego is thin, and brickadia wants to throw it out the window.
We already have blender.
These are both ridiculous extremes, people could've said the same thing about RTB's editor wand allowing players to morph bricks, but everyone loved that

Brickadia isn't extruding bricks or some modeling software inside of a game engine, it's still building with squares, rectangles, ramps, and wedges to make builds that resemble something with those limitations, which is the point of these blocky building sandbox games

microbricks are great. i think Brickadia's only issue is the lack of mod support. i feel like that will be the downfall of the game ultimately, but who knows. with the future release of UE5, maybe we can see more third-party stuff for it.

I'm with mld and night fox on this one, Brickadia's biggest draw for me is microbricks and resizable bricks. They present way more building possibilities and allow for more detail. I can understand why people don't like them but that shouldn't dictate how other players build imo. The classic lego style is great but I really enjoy building with greater detail. They're still little geometric shapes so they don't break the aesthetic in my eyes, like any other brick it just comes down to how well an individual uses them

Brickadia isn't extruding bricks or some modeling software inside of a game engine, it's still building with squares, rectangles, ramps, and wedges to make builds that resemble something with those limitations, which is the point of these blocky building sandbox games

Yeah and mesh is just a bunch of triangles. The RTB editor wand turned bricks into other bricks, not miniscule primitive shapes for use in a mesh. The fact that you're mashing those triangles and primitive shapes together unintuitively with a build tool rather than just explicitly moving them around in 3D space doesn't make it Lego. At this point you would genuinely just be better off being able to manipulate the bricks at the vertex level.

It's like the worst of both worlds. Like imagine if you had to make prop bricks out of tinier bricks lmao

good thing I saved all your emojis

the obvious solution is let the server host set whether or not microbricks are allowed to be used on the server, so that freebuilds dont universally degenerate into microbrick hell/heaven depending on your perspective.

even better if there's a way to set up a microbrick or brick "budget", but that can probably be done via script/addons rather than be native to the game. that way if you want to build anything substantial you have to use your bricks thoughtfully rather than just make a bunch of microbricks that forms exactly the shape you need.

didn't someone already make an anti-microbrick mod?
i do agree its kinda excessive though. sylvanor's entire cabin is made exclusively out of microbricks smh my head my head