I hope to God Brickadia is not most Blockland players choice as a successor

Author Topic: I hope to God Brickadia is not most Blockland players choice as a successor  (Read 23396 times)

allow server owners to disable micros because I'm sick of having a freebuild and seeing a 1 million micro brick house

no one on brickadia discord would listen to me.

I keep telling them you need to have a certain aesthetic and identity, THEN you allow the players to add mods to their game how they see fit.

micros do not fit the lego aesthetic it's a feature that should be left to modding and not something found in the base vanilla game.

If you add literally everything to the game it loses its identity and its aesthetic is ruined.

You can't cater to literally everyone, that's what modding is for. Make them cater to themselves.

damn tony speakin facts for once

Tony I think you forget this is brickadia we’re talking about. It won’t be moddable in the way we want you it. The only thing they have going for them is more updates with content.

It won’t be moddable in the way we want you it. The only thing they have going for them is more updates with content.
im sorry what?

im sorry what?
I'm with soldier101@ on this one I don't think it's ever gonna happen. not really. just this "behaviors" stuff at most and even that seems dubious at this point. however I disagree with lord tony that mods should be secondary to anything else. mods should come first. literally unfathomable to make a sandbox game like this without modding being like the first priority. just look at s&box. they know what's up

I was making a blockland clone earlier, though I didn't have a lot of time to do it. Also I really think s&box is a successor to a lot of sandbox games.

no one on brickadia discord would listen to me.

I keep telling them you need to have a certain aesthetic and identity, THEN you allow the players to add mods to their game how they see fit.

micros do not fit the lego aesthetic it's a feature that should be left to modding and not something found in the base vanilla game.

If you add literally everything to the game it loses its identity and its aesthetic is ruined.

You can't cater to literally everyone, that's what modding is for. Make them cater to themselves.

macro bricks are cool.

im sorry what?
Of course updates are content but I mean they are only updating the game with content that should be modded in. I dont think a update with modding will come and if it does it wont be as versatile as blocklands.

Hi, someone brought this up and I've read the whole thread. I am a bit sad some of you guys don't like us as a team and think we have biases (which may be true, I'm curious specifically what you think about that). Honestly I do hate how divided everything has become about Brickadia (BTW, it is perfectly fine to not like Brickadia!). I say this as a dev, but we do try to keep put in many perspectives. but we just like making cool tech mostly so idk. Either way, your feedback is always welcome to me. The bridge of communication here has been fried since we are fairly shut into the Discord (something I've wanted to change for a while but I digress) and registration requires Discord. And there isn't really a big Brickadia community outside of the Discord either. I left BCC a while ago cause I got really annoyed and pissed off after being mocked about this stuff, that was the one place I was sharing stuff. I do miss talking to people outside the Brickadia Bubble™ about the game, and there is a lot of misinformation about it outside of it.

Of course updates are content but I mean they are only updating the game with content that should be modded in. I dont think a update with modding will come and if it does it wont be as versatile as blocklands.

You're somewhat right about UE4 mods. The kinds of things UE4 mods can add are much more than you might expect, but changing other assets is not something it can do by itself. The advantage Blockland (Torque specifically) has over UE4 modding is hooks/packages, but the nice thing about Unreal specifically is that we can modify the engine, and we do it all the time. Unity for example will cost you about $40k in licensing fees to get access to the editor/engine source. Thas was one of the main reasons we didn't consider Unity (also, it does not have replication/networking built in, and most working solutions are terrible IMO). This was something we looked into for a little bit when researching modding before we decided we would focus on Behaviors (and our hatred for Blueprints :cookieMonster:). But that's exactly why our visual scripting language has grown in scope for what it can do.

Our Behaviors system will be brown townogous to what Torkscript is to Blockland (but of course it will feature a fast VM and one day JIT compilation), but with the ability to convert back and forth between the scratch-like block code and script code. Calling it an events replacement is both fitting and not, since it takes the spot of all your scripting (and eventing) needs (you can attach a behavior to nearly anything including bricks, players, items, minigames, "the server", etc). The main concern at the moment is keeping it easy to learn (well beside it also being very hard to develop, but Sixmorphugus/Chrisbot is really good at this stuff), but that's why we also are working on Wires right now as a more approachable way for beginners to make simple contraptions, and Behaviors are ways to make custom components (which can interfact with wires). I guess wires are similar in scope to events in that respect?

Also it's important to know that Behaviors are very ECS like, which means there isn't "classes". Polymorphism comes from adding a different combination of Behavior components. If you've messed with ECS at all, this may seem familiar to you (it's archetypes! kinda...)

So where does that leave the other kinds of mods? We plan on covering most all scripting mods in Behaviors, so UE4 mods will pretty much only need to add content for Behaviors to use (models, bricks, player parts, etc) which is perfect because UE4 is great at these kinds of mods. We're also waiting to see what Fortnite modding will bring to UE5, so that may bring more possibilites for mods. One thing we're eyeing for is loading and unloading assets at runtime. Of course, the road to getting Behaviors to the feature parity we want will take a very long time, we've all gotten jobs so development has been going a bit slower. And people underestimate how difficult all of this is :panda:

Anyway, that was a wall of text. TLDR: Brickadia will have mods in any plan we come up with. Heres a good brown townogy: Blockland mods make cool stuff, Brickadia Behaviors (scripts) + UE4/5 mods (content, like bricks, weapon models, player parts, maps...) make cool stuff. It's a tall order, but that is the plan.

I think microbrick spam wouldn't have become the meta so quickly if there was a proper selection of rounds and etc. for people to use.
I too am a micro brick hater, but I've seen a few cool microbrick things. I think a lack of brick content is driving up the use, we're working on that (slowly...).

Glad to answer any other questions. I think I answered most of the questions that were in this thread already in this little essay. Also, happy new years eve everyone.

« Last Edit: December 30, 2021, 10:40:07 PM by Wrapperup »

wrapperup singlehandedly trying to save brick game from the child rapist cabal bubble #gj

oh my days... wrapperup said THAT!?