I hope to God Brickadia is not most Blockland players choice as a successor

Author Topic: I hope to God Brickadia is not most Blockland players choice as a successor  (Read 23400 times)

Ya'll sound bend out of shape over the brick game, and be stinking up the place.

It's a decent game for building. Micro bricks seem a bit out of hand if we take the aesthetic of Lego into consideration though

ill consider it something like blockland when it has mod support on par with add-ons

i can't say i know a whole lot about unreal, but A Hat in Time is on UE3 and has mod support with a steam workshop, so in theory this would be possible for Brickadia too? or is hat game some weird exception?

i can't say i know a whole lot about unreal, but A Hat in Time is on UE3 and has mod support with a steam workshop, so in theory this would be possible for Brickadia too? or is hat game some weird exception?
im no game developer, but most games "mod support" is are like frameworks that the developer themselves create (the modding capability is not something built into the engine) that allows content to be loaded into the game externally. for every itsy bitsy little thing they wanted to be 'moddable' they would have to make its own framework for. things that replace assets like player models, textures, sounds, ect. or even stuff like custom maps. are simple frameworks to make. that means easy modding capability those games have is only in the span of whatever framework the devs decide to create. to get brickadia to be even closely as moddable as blockland there would have to be some sort of quote unquote framework for literally everything in the game, as blockland was created on an engine that was created to BE moddable all around, requiring no framework to be made (well, sorta).

brickadia is pretty good but not what I would've wanted from a blockland successor really, the better route would've been building the addons system first and writing all the general game features inside of it much like blockland does, this way modding/addons are a feature from the very beginning with clear examples from the default packages.

what I've honestly wanted from blockland, successor or otherwise is some kind of adventure mode. old blockland maps and saves really encourage exploring everything but there was never really anything in the default game that really paid that off. a mode like that could also help teach good building habits and strategies with building puzzles or something.

im no game developer, but most games "mod support" is are like frameworks that the developer themselves create (the modding capability is not something built into the engine) that allows content to be loaded into the game externally. for every itsy bitsy little thing they wanted to be 'moddable' they would have to make its own framework for. things that replace assets like player models, textures, sounds, ect. or even stuff like custom maps. are simple frameworks to make. that means easy modding capability those games have is only in the span of whatever framework the devs decide to create. to get brickadia to be even closely as moddable as blockland there would have to be some sort of quote unquote framework for literally everything in the game, as blockland was created on an engine that was created to BE moddable all around, requiring no framework to be made (well, sorta).
generally speaking, games made with mod support in mind from the start will basically make their game with the mod framework, or depending on exactly how you go about things, you just make your internal developer tools public. you don't have to create additional APIs for modders afterwards, because you already made them for your base game. this is more true with sandbox games than it is anywhere else, and blockland is a great example, because the base game's guns, vehicles, maps, prints, etc. are all literally just add-ons to begin with. everything else is the engine itself, which is not really relevant to your potential mod creators

with source for example, the hammer editor you use to make gmod maps is the same as the hammer editor valve used to make the maps for all of their source games. the APIs you use when you're making mods for source games (not including gmod's lua stuff which is a different thing) are the same ones they used. the source SDK is basically just their tools that they used, made public. same thing with bethesda's dev tools for TES and fallout games

This. Blockland also followed this fashion even though it started off differently. Brickadia has too much content to transition without growing pains. Growing pains that I dont believe the Devs can handle without help and motivation, which a ftp game with a closed dev team doesnt seem to be very keen on.

That being said Im all for some mad developer to create the second coming of blockland. Maybe we will see another Badspot/Rotondo in the future.

UE3 is quite different, it's the last UE to support UnrealScript

its been said publicly in the br discord theyre holding out for the return of uescript in ue5 before deciding whether or not to commit to writing their own mod support, so the return of uescript could help a lot in making br particularly moddable

unity c# reflection go brrr

as opposed to..... just loving typing it all out?? because a scratch-like system with event blocks somehow.... is bad? because?? reasons??? do you understand that doing it this way makes it extremely easy for non-programmers to pickup and get things done without having to learn an entire coding syntax/command list, while still being able to make complex scripts? and you're actually comparing this image to the STOCK blockland event system, where the most complex thing people usually make is make a brick change color/disappear after clicking.. this is quite literally a more powerful and expanded upon event system. have you ever programmed a single thing in your entire life?

i don't care about the rest of brickadia drama but this one point in particular got my blood boiling

m8 I ain't trying to learn how to program, I just want to forget around on a lego game.  Having an event system like this is off-putting to me.

game is already having collabs lol, i guess the game is going down the yandere sim route

game is already having collabs lol, i guess the game is going down the yandere sim route
*in Yoda voice* Surprised by this are we?

new blogpost just dropped showing how to do basic switch stuff without any sort of code