Author Topic: are we cursed?  (Read 2746 times)

it feels like humanity is evolutionarily traumatized by millions of years of natural selection. even though we as a species have managed to overcome many great obstacles in science, it still feels like humans (and all life on earth) is biologically hardwired to be selfish and destructive. will we ever evolve out of the selfish genes of our primate ancestors naturally or will we have to genetically modify ourselves to think more wholistically and altruistically? is selfishness even a bad thing in the first place, if it means the selfish individual gets to live longer and have offspring?

most organisms don't even have the capacity to be self/less/ so i think we're good looking at the overall picture

bashing my skull in w/ rock unga

philosophy on an albanian lego forum? localized entirely in the off topic board?

more seriously: there arent any definitive answers to these questions, and answers that do exist arent easily accepted by all. selfishness comes from survival instincts, but otoh humans/primates are an inherently social species. theres no way to reconcile the two in a logical way as the premise/core assumptions you have are what define what answers work for you

if evolution has given us our selfish nature in order for us to survive then surely if the need arises we may grow to be altruistic or simply die trying.

i reject the assumption that humans are selfish by nature, i feel like the only way we survived in nature is through collectively helping each other out

cavemen grouped into tribes and would outsmart and outrun prey, its literally the only way we weren't torn to shreds by every animal

people are idiots

what's best for short-term vs what's best for long-term

Selfishness in certain situations gave our ancestors an evolutionary advantage. Not much beyond that though. Humanity isn't really evolving much biologically anymore, now it's our culture that is evolving. We decide what is good and bad, right and wrong, etc. Selfishness isn't really a curse since no one actually cursed us with it, our society has grown to the point that selfishness is counterproductive to the whole, which is why it is considered a bad thing.

Strong men make good times, good times make soft men, soft men make hard times, and hard times make strong men. Rinse and repeat. History is a flat circle.

Strong men make good times, good times make soft men, soft men make hard times, and hard times make strong men. Rinse and repeat. History is a flat circle.
yeah forget those ww1 vets who were too soft to stop Riddler, what a bunch of sissies

I heard in eastern europe it goes like: Hard times create strong men, strong men create hard times, hard times create strong men.

Anyway, history has shown several times that everyone prospers when everyone works together and shares the spoils of their labor. If people wanted more for themselves, they'd help their fellow man. Being selfish isn't just counterproductive to a more effective collective, it's downright stupid most of the time. While there will always be envy and thieves, I feel like it's more a circumstance of western society and capitalism that breeds this "every man for himself" mentality that people tend to adopt these days. It's comically bad in China where it's impossible to trust another businessman.

every perceived concept of psychology is an essential truth contorted and misrepresented by the influence of demonic entities that subsist on causing pain because they know their time is limited so they appeal to their own desires that they have opted to cultivate and develop over millennia. the 'evolution' of humans is impossible while these demonic entities persist and their very presence and influence alludes to the truth in that their history is rooted in organic christianity or at least as it presents itself, though there are many demonically altered iterations of christianity presented to humanity for the sake of distraction, discord, etc. this is the truth. you will not accept or acknowledge it as the truth because they have already sunken their teeth in by proxy of "human" philosophies and belief systems that are rooted in appeals to fleshly desire.

are these "demonic entities" in the room with us right now?

it feels like humanity is evolutionarily traumatized by millions of years of natural selection. even though we as a species have managed to overcome many great obstacles in science, it still feels like humans (and all life on earth) is biologically hardwired to be selfish and destructive. will we ever evolve out of the selfish genes of our primate ancestors naturally or will we have to genetically modify ourselves to think more wholistically and altruistically? is selfishness even a bad thing in the first place, if it means the selfish individual gets to live longer and have offspring?
nietzsche wrote on suffering in will to power that people are built psychologically to inflict suffering, and if you're unable (or unwilling) to do it to others you'll inflict suffering upon yourself. he also wrote that it's directly responsible for all superficial values people have. i dont buy into him but truthfully if you think about this often, reading will to power would probably be really satisfying and ultimately give you a very optimistic succinct outlook on your (and our) future

I think it's more akin to a horizontal single helix.

funny, I don't think I'd have used words such as "akin" or spoken like this in the past but I don't remember really what my personality is exactly. :panda:

This actually makes me a bit said :/

every perceived concept of psychology is an essential truth contorted and misrepresented by the influence of demonic entities that subsist on causing pain because they know their time is limited so they appeal to their own desires that they have opted to cultivate and develop over millennia. the 'evolution' of humans is impossible while these demonic entities persist and their very presence and influence alludes to the truth in that their history is rooted in organic christianity or at least as it presents itself, though there are many demonically altered iterations of christianity presented to humanity for the sake of distraction, discord, etc. this is the truth. you will not accept or acknowledge it as the truth because they have already sunken their teeth in by proxy of "human" philosophies and belief systems that are rooted in appeals to fleshly desire.

I mean he's not wrong.