Fishing Thread: All about the hobby/sport of fishing

Author Topic: Fishing Thread: All about the hobby/sport of fishing  (Read 985 times)

Any of y'all out there like fishing? I just got back into it this summer after not having fished pretty much since I was a little kid. As a kid me and my dad were always just fishing for stuff like crappies and sunfish, you know, kid stuff. This spring heard some coworkers talking about fishing and decided I'd try and go catch some bigger fish that I've never caught before, like bass or pike.

Fast forward to this summer, and I've been having pretty good luck. No monsters yet, but I've caught several pike and a couple bass. There's a lake by me I fish often called Normandale Lake, in Bloomington MN, and that's where I catch most everything.

It's funny cause the local DNR doesn't designate this lake as having fish, the lake got drained several years back to combat invasive aquatic vegetation. I see a lot of people fish here and they never catch anything. The general public likes to fish in this channel running under a bridge, but I've never seen anyone catch anything there in the summer months. They fish in stuffty spots
There's a few spots I've found where there is always fish around.

Largest pike I've caught so far was likely around 26 inches. I didn't measure or weigh it, but just estimating it was around the size, over 20 inches for sure. Not bad at all. Just this last weekend caught a pretty little pike there, and caught a reasonably sized smallmouth bass.

Any of you guys into fishing? What do you like to fish for, and where? Favorite lures/rods/reel setups? Discuss general fishing topics here!

yeah I used to catch catfish at the Chesapeake bay in Maryland. Pepperoni made for amazing bait but the caveat being you could ONLY catch catfish with it. They're good though so i was chillin

Florida generally has good fishing in terms of both fresh and salt water. Personally, I prefer the freshwater fishing and seeing what monsters you can find out in the Everglades. You’ll find just about anything from gar to panfish, snook, tarpon, cichlids and all sorts of stuff within a 5-10 mile radius.

I've fished before on occasions but only remember ever catching anything doing deep sea fishing. the guy that took me had several spots & I caught a red snapper that I swear was almost 2ft long. it was massive. wasn't supposed to keep it cause red snapper has like a 3 day season out of the whole year but the fish wasn't able to swim back in the water and was most likely gonna die so we ended up keeping it as to not waste it
« Last Edit: July 20, 2022, 08:36:40 AM by Trogtor »

stuff I haven't fished in about a year now, since my dad came down to visit. They stock the ponds here so it's got trout, carp, Catfish, the usually suspects.

the last time i went fishing it was with a block of wood, a line, and a hook in south america.

i've been wanting to get a license for maryland to sit in the bay and fish, but first i want to get a canoe, and it'd probably be better to wait till i move out of central west virginia and closer to central maryland. not planning on changing states though, makes it a bit tough

fishing and cold beer is where it's at, although it's been a couple years since I got to do any fishing! last time I went my father and I caught some catfish and bluegill at a nice reservoir. using bread and chicken liver for bait. we took a cooler of about 20 fish home that night, flayed and cooked some, vacuum sealed the rest in freezer bags for later. good times. need to get out and go again sometime for sure

yeah I used to catch catfish at the Chesapeake bay in Maryland. Pepperoni made for amazing bait but the caveat being you could ONLY catch catfish with it. They're good though so i was chillin
Always found it weird how you use bullstuff to catch catfish, or carp. I swear you could throw a turd with googly eyes out there and they'll eat it lol

Florida generally has good fishing in terms of both fresh and salt water. Personally, I prefer the freshwater fishing and seeing what monsters you can find out in the Everglades. You’ll find just about anything from gar to panfish, snook, tarpon, cichlids and all sorts of stuff within a 5-10 mile radius.
Ooh, that sounds like a good idea. Everglades are only a few hours south of me so I might just give that a try. Have you ever tried to bag and tag some gator while out there?

the last time i went fishing it was with a block of wood, a line, and a hook in south america.

i've been wanting to get a license for maryland to sit in the bay and fish, but first i want to get a canoe, and it'd probably be better to wait till i move out of central west virginia and closer to central maryland. not planning on changing states though, makes it a bit tough
South America would be interesting for pearooster bass, those things get huge.

Boats are nice, even small ones. I'm considering buying a Tuggie Boat to modify and add a trolling motor to, turning a kids sandbox toy into a one man boat. It's kinda stupid but also genius because people have done it and it actually works. The only problem is you technically need to register it with the Minnesota DMV or something as a watercraft as it has an engine, but there's plenty of places to fish with it that DNR never comes around to.