Author Topic: Unreal Engine 5  (Read 833 times)

Okay I know this could almost be better in games or in creativity but if I want any kind of discussion I kinda just have to post it here.

Anyone forget around with it? I've been having an absolute blast making stuff. I've only moderately used Hammer for CS:S and CS:GO and barely dabbled in UE3 but this new engine from what I can tell is absolutely incredible. It's literally Garry's Mod on steroids.

https://streamable.com/x2p5ky
https://streamable.com/pqheuh
Some random stuff I've done since staying awake for way too last night the bottom chairs is me messing around with the blueprint (a slightly more complex blockland event system) I changed how shiny the edges of the chairs were, changed the colors and reflectivity of the edges specifically and changed the color of the seat to blue. All with the blueprint just tweaking values.

The cinematic tools alone are so easy and so fun this stuff might as well be a video game

I heard there is a building game coming out on UE5, probably has just as stuffty a community as this one.

I heard there is a building game coming out on UE5, probably has just as stuffty a community as this one.
Really...what is it called

lmao I actually forgot that was UE5

while unity is pivoting towards becoming a mobile gambling game maker, UE5 is actually becoming the most insane piece of software anyone can get

Really...what is it called
Idk, probably named after some stuffty city made by a homoloveual who also rants about how much he hates gay people.

while unity is pivoting towards becoming a mobile gambling game maker, UE5 is actually becoming the most insane piece of software anyone can get
too bad about the part where you have to use C++ to do anything real. blueprints (like any other visual programming system*) suck ass. by far the best thing unity has going for it (perhaps even the only thing) is that it allows you to use C#. use godot instead. I don't like gdscript much myself but it's Okay and you can also use C# instead if you want. the main benefit of godot though is the whole licensing situation

*I would make a distinction between "visual programming" and node-based editors that don't define program behavior; node graphs are excellent for shaders and materials in general etc, along with lots of other use cases where it actually makes sense like organizing dialogue trees
visual programming on the other hand results in impossible to maintain software that is frequently slow to boot

also to be clear I'm not a C# stan or anything it's just that C++ sucks fat balls and if it's between C# and java I will choose C# every single god damn time. but there are other options that are probably better. rust might be neat in a game engine
« Last Edit: August 05, 2022, 11:46:14 PM by Foxscotch »

too bad about the part where you have to use C++ to do anything real. blueprints (like any other visual programming system*) suck ass. by far the best thing unity has going for it (perhaps even the only thing) is that it allows you to use C#. use godot instead. I don't like gdscript much myself but it's Okay and you can also use C# instead if you want. the main benefit of godot though is the whole licensing situation

*I would make a distinction between "visual programming" and node-based editors that don't define program behavior; node graphs are excellent for shaders and materials in general etc, along with lots of other use cases where it actually makes sense like organizing dialogue trees
visual programming on the other hand results in impossible to maintain software that is frequently slow to boot

also to be clear I'm not a C# stan or anything it's just that C++ sucks fat balls and if it's between C# and java I will choose C# every single god damn time. but there are other options that are probably better. rust might be neat in a game engine
i wholeheartedly agree, c++ is probably the thing that is kneecaping the growth of ue5. if I where them I would invest considerable amounts of time into making their game development process less of torture experiment.

but honestly, they seem to be moving in that direction anyways with how they have refactored their editor these last few years so inshallah they keep making good improvements

i would personally suck off every dev at epic games if they introduced rust in a non-buggy way like some people are doing right now. I would even settle for some kind of scripting intermediary language like how torquescript worked

i've never used godot because it used to be only 2d until recently so I might look at it
« Last Edit: August 07, 2022, 11:17:56 AM by Aide33 »

supposedly UE is going to get a scripting language soon. I've read that it's expected this year, but apparently epic keeps their cards pretty close to their chest until it's nearly time to release, so it's hard to know for sure
personally I don't really get the appeal of designing a brand new language for stuff like this. you're making it harder on yourself and the game developers who will use it. but maybe it'll be cool

C# is a perfect abstraction for game development. I think Unity's greatest strength is they know exactly who their audience is; UE struggles with this because they can't tell if they want to poach triple A companies (who already have in-house software) or if they want to market "one size fits all hyper realism" to indie developers who don't actually have the requisite teams to make use of their technology. Not to mention: Unreal's out of the box workflow is crippling to anything that isn't a FPS/TPS or similar game

supposedly UE is going to get a scripting language soon. I've read that it's expected this year, but apparently epic keeps their cards pretty close to their chest until it's nearly time to release, so it's hard to know for sure
personally I don't really get the appeal of designing a brand new language for stuff like this. you're making it harder on yourself and the game developers who will use it. but maybe it'll be cool
the funny thing iirc is ue3 and older versions had unrealscript, but was so full of stuffty holes that let you do dangerous stuff on clients from the server that they dropped it. a friend once demonstrated this to me by having me join their killing floor 1 server and showed me they got my client to download zip files off the server into places outside the kf1 directory + modified my client files so i had everything unlocked

i'd rather them not designing a language lol
the funny thing iirc is ue3 and older versions had unrealscript, but was so full of stuffty holes that let you do dangerous stuff on clients from the server that they dropped it. a friend once demonstrated this to me by having me join their killing floor 1 server and showed me they got my client to download zip files off the server into places outside the kf1 directory + modified my client files so i had everything unlocked
for these reasons exactly