Poll

Archive or wipe

Archive
36 (55.4%)
Wiped
29 (44.6%)

Total Members Voted: 65

Voting closed: October 21, 2023, 12:46:41 PM

Author Topic: What would be better, forum archive or a complete erasure  (Read 5722 times)

erase this stuff its decades of negativity, trolls, trauma, and parasocial identity good riddance

it would be better to wipe this place and forget the blf ever existed
erase this stuff its decades of negativity, trolls, trauma, and parasocial identity good riddance
I doubt anyone is going to argue this place has always been a stuffhole, but that doesn't mean it deserves to be lost to history.

im surprised how many people want it wiped based on the poll. for one thing you're basically anonymous here if you want to be. and i like to be able to look back on posts i have with years-old dates and be like "yea i was there... back in the good old days..."
Yeah, this place also holds a lot of mid-2000s and early 2010s internet cultural zeitgeist and should be preserved. Places like this are few and far between; even 4chan's early history is limited to just a few hundred scattered, crusty, cropped, highly-compressed JPEGs.

I'd like a wipe, the amount of cringe stuff I posted is too much.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spotlight_effect
You will be fine.

You could argue that certain boards would potentially benefit from a full wipe, namely the drama and off-topic boards because they typically don't contribute anything useful to the game or community as a whole, with some exceptions.

mostly though I agree with this sentiment:

I doubt anyone is going to argue this place has always been a stuffhole, but that doesn't mean it deserves to be lost to history.

Even though this place has constantly been a cesspool of stuff, it wouldn't be fair to past and current users to have it all be wiped. No harm done in archiving it and just looking back at it, even if that's what most users do now already.

cope

I don't see the harm in those who want a backup of the site to be able to have one, while the ones who don't want a backup can simply be rid of it once it's over.

somewhere i actually have an html archive of almost the entire abs fiesta redux thread. so i guess it would be nice to have like, major events/threads archived, but a lot of stuff probably wouldn't really need to be kept

legendary ace attorney combat rp moment

sad that it ended, would have been cool if you guys ran more campaigns off the forum. always wished i could get into a proper rpg campaign group but idk if i can rp well enough.

somewhere i actually have an html archive of almost the entire abs fiesta redux thread
ok not even really relevant to the thread but since you mentioned that it just wanna say that like. while I never actually participated. idk if I ever even posted in the thread(s?) at all. but like that was hella cool. probly the sickest forum game of all time

ok not even really relevant to the thread but since you mentioned that it just wanna say that like. while I never actually participated. idk if I ever even posted in the thread(s?) at all. but like that was hella cool. probly the sickest forum game of all time
yeah, a ton of effort was put into it back in the day. there's an xcom-themed sequel of it happening on discord, now with more character portraits and 3D maps. very fun to look back at the abs thread and to the new stuff to see how it's all changed

for real the dude marketed it as a lego game for kids but did absolutely nothing when it came to actually protecting those kids. rarely would post and when he did everyone would gawk in amazement. just a petty adult who would just fan the flames if it had to involve him
this is what i originally thought but since learning about his research art site it doesnt actually surprise me.

it would not surprise me to learn that badspot may not had actually touched an actual woman ever as i have noted some inaccuracies in his researchographic drawing.

i want it wiped bc i'm scared that someone's going to track down the mistakes i made when i was 11 years old for some cancel culture stuff

Def archive it

There's too much thats happened here to just let it go to waste entirely

im surprised how many people want it wiped based on the poll. for one thing you're basically anonymous here if you want to be. and i like to be able to look back on posts i have with years-old dates and be like "yea i was there... back in the good old days..."
Lmao the forums are on the first page if you google my username, I had to log in to tell you all how forgeted I’ll be if someone needs cringe dirt on me