Author Topic: blockland: the community that killed the game  (Read 57607 times)

Everywhere you go on the internet you are going to find people being jackasses, that's just life, dude. We were all young once, and I'm sure plenty of us made some stupid posts that we regret. Nobody is perfect.
I seriously hope this isn't you sympathizing for Badspot, as if he was any better than the literal kids he was literally telling to kill themselves

How many other devs of popular indie games or ones that have a cult following have you seen have such a vocal disdain and hatred for their players, especially just because they were a furry or had legitimate complaints about how they handled their game?

When there was a decent sized moderation team, people were regularly getting banned because of their stupidity
"a decent sized moderation team"??? You mean Badspot who started to get lazy after appointing Ephialtes, who then later quit and was replaced by Rotondo who then also became inactive because he had his own game to work on? That's not what i would call a decently sized moderation team for how many users used to be active here 24/7 and then with how chaotic things got once the moderation started to die down after Ephi quit and it was mostly just Rotondo and occasionally a very selective Badspot for a while

sure maybe Badspot & the other moderators were a bit harsh at times, but in the end they were doing what they felt was right to address problem users.
They were doing their jobs, moderating.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hwz7YN1AQmQ

plenty of people were permanently IP banned from the forums, this was back before you needed to own the game to have a forum account. The issue was that simply by using a VPN the offender could make a new account and be posting again within a matter of seconds, doing the same toxic stuff as before.
Back then

To address this issue, Badspot made it so that each BLID is tied to their forum account
...but since this era was when Badspot really started to slow up on moderating, especially since people would just buy a new BLID just to continue what they were doing, and eventually Rotondo was put into action

Why is it Badspot's fault? If anything it's other user's fault - just look at your topic title it's called the COMMUNITY that killed the game, right?? The weirdos, the groomers, the sickos - those are the people that gave the game a bad reputation
WHO DO YOU THINK ALLOWED THAT TO PROPOGATE?

and those are the kind of people that deserve to be banned
WHO DO YOU THINK NEGLECTED TO DO THAT??????

WHAT FORUM HAVE YOU EXISTED ON THIS LAST DECADE?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2023, 06:58:28 PM by Masterlegodude »

i remember coming across this game in the v19 days while looking for roblox alternatives since at the time my parents had blocked the site off our internet so i was left with nothing to do. eventually bought the game in the tail-end of 2011, by waking up at 9 am on a saturday, committing fraud on a 3ds web browser and that was when i was indoctrinated into the blockland cult. its been a wild ride and it wouldve been interesting to see what couldve been had badspot had more care for the game other than "this is the game that lets me call myself a game dev and it pays the bills so i'm going to draw minions now, you guys have fun" and look what's happened. im extremely grateful for my time on here as i've met some wonderful and horrible but fun people on here, shoutouts to some of you in this thread especially

honestly sometimes i want to go back to this game and make something cool but i never have the inspiration and all i have to do with blockland related things nowadays is some cool blender art. at least brickadia exists and allows me to keep doing these but i can't say im really confident with all the things i've heard about it, but it looks very promising

please stop yelling

I seriously hope this isn't you sympathizing for Badspot, as if he was any better than the literal kids he was literally telling to kill themselves

How many other devs of popular indie games or ones that have a cult following have you seen have such a vocal disdain and hatred for their players, especially just because they were a furry or had legitimate complaints about how they handled their game?
"a decent sized moderation team"??? You mean Badspot who started to get lazy after appointing Ephialtes, who then later quit and was replaced by Rotondo who then also became inactive because he had his own game to work on? That's not what i would call a decently sized moderation team for how many users used to be active here 24/7 and then with how chaotic things got once the moderation started to die down after Ephi quit and it was mostly just Rotondo and occasionally a very selective Badspot for a while
Back then
...but since this era was when Badspot really started to slow up on moderating, especially since people would just buy a new BLID just to continue what they were doing, and eventually Rotondo was put into action

i wasnt going to respond to him because i was in shock lol ty mr lego master

That's obviously not a very nice thing to say to somebody - I don't think I would say that even to my worst enemy, but not everyone is me - people say hurtful things sometimes but you can't let pointless stuff like that get to you. Like when someone on the internet that you have never met a day in your life tells you to go kill yourself, you should probably take it with a grain of salt...

Quote from: Forum Rules
5. Do not plea for sympathy
  • Do not make posts about how you are leaving the forums. Just leave.
  • Do not make posts about how the game isn't fun for you anymore.  Just stop playing.
  • Do not make posts about how you are going to kill yourself.  Just do it.
damn, nvm those forum rules have me feeling edgy

kinda strange to throw "just because they were a furry" and "had a legitimate complaint about how they handled their game" together like they are even in the same category. typically, people who have legitimate complaints or concerns with the game care about those sort of things, and don't get banned for expressing those concerns - but the people posting furry art don't last long...

there were more moderators than that, maybe you just don't remember - but as time went on, yes, there became less and less moderation.

please stop yelling
yeah lol chill

A lot of your points arent even points, you just kind of victim blame.

Also who were the other mods I would like you to elaborate
« Last Edit: January 14, 2023, 09:52:00 PM by Pixel »

when someone on the internet that you have never met a day in your life tells you to go kill yourself, you should probably take it with a grain of salt...

damn, nvm those forum rules have me feeling edgy

No.

I sincerely hope you will never have to suffer the heartbreak associated with someone close taking their own life. Self Delete is an awful plague that affects many young men, such as those attending these forums, and having this kind of statement as something practically every user will read is not going to be completely unimpactful.

It would be understandable to, say, have a rule stating,
Out of a respect for the emotional health of all forum patrons, no discussion of self-harm or Self Delete is permitted on these boards. Please seek help if you are feeling troubled in this way.
Or something to that effect.

I, frankly am glad to have another brickbuilding community that is not full of narcissistic sociopaths that feel it is perfectly reasonable for an admin of a Game Marketed Towards Children to say "lol kys" to their paying customers, even if it is full of "weirdos" (which I assume is meant to be code for queer and trans folkx.)

That's obviously not a very nice thing to say to somebody - I don't think I would say that even to my worst enemy, but not everyone is me - people say hurtful things sometimes but you can't let pointless stuff like that get to you. Like when someone on the internet that you have never met a day in your life tells you to go kill yourself, you should probably take it with a grain of salt...
It's different if it's the users saying stuff like that, but for the main developer(s) of a retail product say that is unprofessional and creates an abusive and toxic environment for the paying customers, it's no wonder that with a young and impressionable playerbase that the community eventually started adapting similar behaviors

Letting the people in charge of any situation you partake in talk to you and others like that makes you a pushover, it just shouldn't be tolerated, especially from those in power of a business

kinda strange to throw "just because they were a furry" and "had a legitimate complaint about how they handled their game" together like they are even in the same category.
Because Badspot responded in a negative and insulting manner to both and more

there were more moderators than that, maybe you just don't remember - but as time went on, yes, there became less and less moderation.
Being on these forums since 2005, the only other moderator i could possibly think of is maybe kompressor, but only for such a short time that, even if he was a mod, it wouldn't have mattered in the grand scheme of things and is therefor irrelevant to this discussion

yeah lol chill
Yeah no, i'm honestly tired of being told to chill when doing so has done even less for helping a situation than me openly expressing my feelings

Also, stop having such bad takes
« Last Edit: January 14, 2023, 10:31:40 PM by Masterlegodude »

Kompressor is actually a great foil to Badspot, he was a cool guy and if you look him up today hes really successful and has been involved with some noteworthy stuff

Kompressor is actually a great foil to Badspot, he was a cool guy and if you look him up today hes really successful and has been involved with some noteworthy stuff
Didn't Kompressor also work on the Torque Game Engine a bit? I think i recall seeing him on the support forums a while back

I met Kompressor IRL at a GDC and he was very friendly and encouraging me and seemed to light up when he found out I wanted to learn more programing and stuff and sent me all sorts of tutorials and early access to the RUBY game engine and all sorts of things.
Too bad I burnt myself out programming a graphics and physics engine from scratch. I would have liked to continue working with him. (Although I wouldnt have made the switch to theater so maybe its all for the best)