blockland: the community that killed the game

Author Topic: blockland: the community that killed the game  (Read 83822 times)

I'm convinced a large portion of the active users are either extremely delusional or didn't exist when blockland was at its peak
the peak of blockland is enitrely subjective based on user end experience. personally i saw blockland peak between 2012 and 2015 because those were the years i was most active.

the peak of blockland is enitrely subjective based on user end experience. personally i saw blockland peak between 2012 and 2015 because those were the years i was most active.
For a lot of users, it probably has a lot to do with initially finding the game and playing because of nostalgia. i been active on and off for a pretty long time and i'd say 2010-2013 were the golden years for me, because that's when i started and was having the most fun online (;A;)

peavy stated that 2008-2016 was his favorite time to be here, cause there was an "okay community" , good mods, lots of players and "still like the glory days of V8 without all the bugs, and addons were wild"

Blockland's peak was the early 2010s when there was about a steady average of 400 - 600 active players

It's been downhill ever since

Blockland's peak was the early 2010s when there was about a steady average of 400 - 600 active players
-img snip-

It's been downhill ever since
Seeing this hurts my very soul. Having originally joined Blockland in 2006 and watching its rise and fall it hits hard. I really hope there's a resurrection
« Last Edit: August 27, 2023, 12:09:46 AM by Alyx Vance »

it is interesting to see how much of an impact these forums had especially in a pretty critical period of development (pretty much all of middle school for me). looking back, exposure to all the toxic garbage being spewed on here really was not normal. hard to be surprised considering the complete lack of moderation and acceptance/glorification of badspot's laziness and apathy for this community. harassment and abuse was pretty much entertainment for people as we all just accepted it as "it is what it is" pretty much. my hope is that most people who were avid members here for a while were not heavily effected by their experiences on here. i sometimes wonder if engaging on these forums has ever been a detriment to my development in any way, i hope not but i could definitely see that being the case for some

it is interesting to see how much of an impact these forums had especially in a pretty critical period of development (pretty much all of middle school for me). looking back, exposure to all the toxic garbage being spewed on here really was not normal. hard to be surprised considering the complete lack of moderation and acceptance/glorification of badspot's laziness and apathy for this community. harassment and abuse was pretty much entertainment for people as we all just accepted it as "it is what it is" pretty much. my hope is that most people who were avid members here for a while were not heavily effected by their experiences on here. i sometimes wonder if engaging on these forums has ever been a detriment to my development in any way, i hope not but i could definitely see that being the case for some
absolutely

i definitely agree with all that. while i can look back and laugh at these things now because it's so absurd (and everyone was so loving edgy), i will admit that some of the crap on here affected me for a long time. i don't think it stunted my development, per say, some of things on here definitely negatively impacted me as a teen. i had an awful lot of self confidence issues and even felt insecure about my own disability when everyone just referred to me as a cripple.

however, i eventually learned how to find worth within my self and no longer require validation from people on the internet if i'm pretty or if it's okay for me to be who i am. the only persons' opinion i care about is mine and my husbands'.  he thinks highly of my looks, i also can look in the mirror and say i look good.

i also dont hold it against people who just went along with it because they wanted validation or to fit in themselves, especially if they were within my age group.

hell, I even forgive some of the people who really messed with me or had drama with me because it's the past and furthermore, a lot of the people doing that stuff were probably damaged or mistreated at some point in their life.

people like lord tony probably had been their mom's ashtray and that's what led to them constantly loving with people as some kind of way to cry out.

badspot's apathy and laziness might even be a result of some sort of mental illness for all we know, he does not act like a normal person. i'm not a psychologist at all, but it does not take an expert to know that a lot of people on here are crazy forgeted up

of course this isn't really me trying to justify it or excuse some of the more extreme behavior (such as the private investigating and harassment people such as my husband had gone through).... just saying this place is like an unstaffed mental asylum and i went from hating most of the people on here, to just feeling sorry for a lot of them.

i once was the one crying over stuff on here like a little bitch but now i just think "what the forget happened in your life to make you put down little kids?" and through a screen at that. as a 25 year old woman, i certainly don't feel the need to stuff on 12 year olds to make myself feel better or to find entertainment

the more extreme headcases who were like 20s-30s cussing out, private investigating and harassing little kids (that's not even touching on the ones that wanna go inside them) probably wouldn't have the balls to approach some kid at the park and say "Hey kid you're ugly and stupid and everything you make is gay!" so they attacked people smaller than themselves over the internet. just makes me pity them to be honest.

i can kind of already predict people will say i'm victimizing myself or say i want attention but it is what it is, i'm just being honest \_(ツ)_/

coming from someone who knows like only 0.1% of the crazy BL drama and has only now kinda caught up with some of it from this topic, this forum really was some "special" place. it has helped me find some really awesome friends who i'm still in contact with today, but its really forgeted up to see what happened behind the curtains here. i honestly couldn't be any more glad that i avoided the drama section when i was a dumb kid and just babbled on about stupid cringy bullstuff in the addon and offtopic forums. its a real shame now to see BL slowly wither away and have dwindling playercounts but honestly its a much better fate than becoming near unrecognizable from what it was 20 years ago (looking at you, roblox)

I have to agree that blockland is dead, however we did not kill it. Sure us, as a community, yeah we killed it; but no individual killed blockland. Blockland died like any other old net 2.0 website died, we don't come back here anymore. I really want forums to still exist as a thing in our current Internet age but somehow they just seem to be small and insignificant. And I feel like the fact that any of you are paying attention to this post is because of how much this loving forum meant to us, at least those who have been around for a while.

Really, I don't ever pay attention to blf anymore, yeah this forum, and a good chunk of you guys are my childhood. But I don't know any of you. Both my youth and y'all's attitude is the reason why. The first time I played blockland it was the blockland demo, I didn't even know the forums existed. It was just a fun Lego brick game. But after I bought into Blockland retail sometime around V9 I hopped on the forums as a guest. This place was a loving cesspool.

Even after I finally signed up for an account I barely talked, I still barely talk to this day. The first lesson I learned was that newbies get smashed into the ground. Any person saying "Hi, hey I'm new here." Were ridiculed off the site. In my mind at the time there were no new people, there was just the Old Guard. Anything I could or would say on this forum would be considered Maximum Cringe.™️

And thus I only posted stuff infrequently. Trying to satisfy myself with just lurking for 90% of the time I engaged myself with the form. I spent a huge chunk of my life actively browsing and reading every single thread on this forum for almost a decade before I gave up. I like some of you guys, and I know a chunk of you guys, but I don't understand any of you guys. I never felt welcome here.

So max props to all of you guys who felt like you belonged here because, maybe you did. Even as the furry community seem to kind of flourish on here, it just felt like a thing I could only observe.

I don't know man, I didn't say stuff on this forum because I feared you. And yet my few posts that I have on this form are just absolute 13-year-old cringe.

As much as I try to have nostalgia for 2010 blf, every time I look back on it I wasn't happy. I did truly want to be part of this forum, but every time I tried to think of something to say I was deathly afraid of looking like an idiot. Because the worst thing you could be on the forum, from what you guys had told me for years, was to be a handicap.

So, if any of you guys want to talk to me as an actual proper adult; you can hit me up. No, not in the pms here on the blf I haven't been on here since July. But I also don't trust you idiots enough to post a Discord link in the raw this forum. So my steam ID is jac802 (I know it's incredibly original)

But yea, in all honesty you guys turned an already pretty introverted kid into somebody who takes years to form personal connections with people, without even having to do anything other than being toxic af. Good job team

wonder if there are enough unbanned troll accounts left to mock you for that post - unfortunately a lot have stuck around lurking.

sorry your experience was so poor, which tbh sounds like every forum back in the day. the internet was a wild unmoderated place then.

wonder if there are enough unbanned troll accounts left to mock you for that post
That's messed up, why would you say that

not cause i want it to happen but out of genuine curiosity if there are any real unbanned trolls left. its better this place is dead than full of trolls imo.

not cause i want it to happen but out of genuine curiosity if there are any real unbanned trolls left. its better this place is dead than full of trolls imo.
True

hard agree, i don't want to see the last days of this place full of gorespam and research, let it ride semi-gracefully into the sunset

oh boy time to gorespam and post research unexpectedly.