Author Topic: Is anyone still in contact with the user "Boink!"?  (Read 1419 times)

He has the Godot drinking coffee gif as an avatar and use to have Powdered Toast Man before that. I just remember Zealot's BLForumer State thread and he was literally the only one to state that he lived in Wyoming. I always wanted to live there one day after I get out of school. I like asking Wyomingites what's it like there and what they think the best kind of job to have for settling there. Also how spotty the internet was for playing something like Blockland. I've heard that their internet on average isn't that great, but I'm thinking it depends on the city. I know he hasn't posted since 2016, but if anyone is in contact with him, let him know I got some out of the blue questions. I can probably get easier answers from other areas (which I have been) but I figured it wouldn't hurt trying for an additional guy's advice. Also if anyone else lived there, let me know what it was like.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2023, 05:56:50 PM by Defendor »

what the hell is powdered toast

wait why would you wanna live in wyoming of all places

wait why would you wanna live in wyoming of all places
I always wanted to live there ever since i realized it was the least populated state in the country (and second least densely populated). Living in kind of a rugged small town with lots of wildlife just seems really cool to me. The low cost of living seems pretty good too. I've seen some houses for sale being under 200k which don't look dilapidated or anything. My only two issues that I can't shake yet are the job opportunities and the internet connection. I'm still working toward my degree and trying to get good at land surveying. I'm still trying to figure out of the entry level positions will be enough to take home a comfortable profit after paying for all the expenses. Also internet speed is important to me since I play video games. I assume Boink! also plays games since he was at this forum, so I'm just hoping he doesn't say. "it's awful, my Blockhead character gets to move one step every 5 seconds.  :cookieMonster: "
« Last Edit: February 06, 2023, 08:06:33 PM by Defendor »

Wyoming is loving lit, forget the WY hate. Any state without income tax is lit, but Wyoming, Alaska, and New Hampshire are especially litty because its chilly or mild. not to mention these three states have good gun laws and are very outdoorsy/scenic. I'm not a hunter but if I was I'd be living in heaven if I were there.

I always wanted to live there ever since i realized it was the least populated state in the country (and second least densely populated). Living in kind of a rugged small town with lots of wildlife just seems really cool to me. The low cost of living seems pretty good too. I've seen some houses for sale being under 200k which don't look dilapidated or anything. My only two issues that I can't shake yet are the job opportunities and the internet connection. I'm still working toward my degree and trying to get good at land surveying. I'm still trying to figure out of the entry level positions will be enough to take home a comfortable profit after paying for all the expenses. Also internet speed is important to me since I play video games. I assume Boink! also plays games since he was at this forum, so I'm just hoping he doesn't say. "it's awful, my Blockhead character gets to move one step every 5 seconds.  :cookieMonster: "

You need to take into the other expenses with living in Wyoming like services, since getting something like a new roof would require people to travel 30-120 mins to get to your place. Groceries are 30 min away, you'd have to do a monthly or bi-weekly grocery run unless you wanna spend a lot in gas. Wind damage is a legitimate concern out in the plains. I know you like the isolation but your neighbors will be elders.

Also luckily modern day internet shouldn't concern you. You're more than likely going to be gaming and streaming at a comfortable speed. When in doubt, Starlink will hook you up.

I can tell you though, I bought my first house a year ago for 200k with 10% down. (With a 0% down, which you are eligible for since you're a first time home buyer, the monthly payment is only like a hundred bucks more). Granted the interest rate was low, but I was piss poor. I worked two jobs for around 40k a year. Now I make about 3 times that but I'm only comfortable with spending 2000-2500 a month on a mortgage, compared to my current 900/mo, which was about half of my monthly income. 
« Last Edit: February 07, 2023, 03:40:08 PM by Sheepocalypse »

Wyoming is loving lit, forget the WY hate. Any state without income tax is lit, but Wyoming, Alaska, and New Hampshire are especially litty because its chilly or mild. not to mention these three states have good gun laws and are very outdoorsy/scenic. I'm not a hunter but if I was I'd be living in heaven if I were there.

You need to take into the other expenses with living in Wyoming like services, since getting something like a new roof would require people to travel 30-120 mins to get to your place. Groceries are 30 min away, you'd have to do a monthly or bi-weekly grocery run unless you wanna spend a lot in gas. Wind damage is a legitimate concern out in the plains. I know you like the isolation but your neighbors will be elders.

Also luckily modern day internet shouldn't concern you. You're more than likely going to be gaming and streaming at a comfortable speed. When in doubt, Starlink will hook you up.

I can tell you though, I bought my first house a year ago for 200k with 10% down. (With a 0% down, which you are eligible for since you're a first time home buyer, the monthly payment is only like a hundred bucks more). Granted the interest rate was low, but I was piss poor. I worked two jobs for around 40k a year. Now I make about 3 times that but I'm only comfortable with spending 2000-2500 a month on a mortgage, compared to my current 900/mo, which was about half of my monthly income.
this is the kind of post i've been lookin for. these are some great points to be mindful of, and it makes me wonder how i'll keep unexpired milk in the fridge if monthly grocery shopping was necessary. And I would imagine investment in impact-resistant glass windows should offset the wind issue, but i'll keep lookin into that. When you mentioned your first house, did you get it in WY, or another state?

this is the kind of post i've been lookin for. these are some great points to be mindful of, and it makes me wonder how i'll keep unexpired milk in the fridge if monthly grocery shopping was necessary. And I would imagine investment in impact-resistant glass windows should offset the wind issue, but i'll keep lookin into that. When you mentioned your first house, did you get it in WY, or another state?

Got mine in Delaware. Going to move very soon because Delaware loving sucks. WY was on my list for a while, but I've narrowed down my search to Montana or New Hampshire.

Nothing wrong with WY, its that Montana is very similar but has a slightly different climate. A little colder but more green instead of arid. It's also one of the fastest growing states at the moment. Really as long as you get a good snow vehicle like a Toyota Tundra or something, enough fuel for the winter because electric heating will tear your wallet apart, and stockpile your food/supplies incase of bad snowstorms, you'd be fine in WY. Houses built out there are designed to combat the WY climate but if you get a big ass rock picked up by the wind and it smashes into your windows at 45mph, that's the only cause for concern. How often does that happen? idk.

I think theres like a very small patch where Starlink doesn't cover so just make sure you are in a good area for internet. Your realtor can help you with that. Did I mention realtors are basically free? You WILL have to pay closing costs and they are a bit expensive. Mine was 5k. Save some money for that because you can't get a mortgage to cover it most times. Closing costs include the cut for the realtors. If you don't have a realtor, you still end up paying their cut of the money to the seller's realtor, basically doubling their pay. Get one, like I said, it's basically free.

If you can deal with the cons of WY, you'll be fine.