Author Topic: new year's resolutions?  (Read 11717 times)

following hot on the heels of the christmas time thread: anyone have any new year's resolutions?
mine are both fitness related: do 1 unassisted pull-up and run a nonstop mile (doesn't matter how fast, just never breaking a running pace). i'd wanted to accomplish an unassisted pullup this year but didn't manage it so hopefully next year i can do it

mine is also fitness related but less specific. I just want to do strength training every other day and walk at least 30 minutes on the off days. surely over time I will increase the scope of these goals but I think that's a manageable place to start. the most important thing for me rn is just getting some kind of activity every day and trying to get in better shape. I'm not especially worried about changing my diet at the moment because that's never gone exceptionally well in the past and it's going to have to be a much more gradual process. trying to change both at once would not work for me

good luck on yours

mine is also fitness related but less specific. I just want to do strength training every other day and walk at least 30 minutes on the off days. surely over time I will increase the scope of these goals but I think that's a manageable place to start. the most important thing for me rn is just getting some kind of activity every day and trying to get in better shape. I'm not especially worried about changing my diet at the moment because that's never gone exceptionally well in the past and it's going to have to be a much more gradual process. trying to change both at once would not work for me

good luck on yours
i've really loved getting fitness involved with my daily routine (started back at the end of march of this year). i've been doing lifting 5 to 6 days a week and trying to run/walk outside 1 or 2 days a week and i've felt great after doing it. i feel a lot better about myself in general thanks to it too. the only real diet change i've made is just trying to get a lot more protein in my diet to support the gains, like protein shakes in the mornings and increasing how much lean meat i eat

I should probably make mine "be nicer to myself" but im not sure if i deserve it... this is a joke, i'm fine i should probably still make that my resolution tho

go do rock climbing at the local gym at least twice a week

I should probably make mine "be nicer to myself" but im not sure if i deserve it... this is a joke, i'm fine i should probably still make that my resolution tho
a good goal

go do rock climbing at the local gym at least twice a week
i'd love to try out rock climbing but unfortunately i have a fear of unstable heights :(

I want to get into a non-junior software engineering role, release one of my personal projects, and start making contributions on at least one open source solution on GitHub.

i'd love to try out rock climbing but unfortunately i have a fear of unstable heights :(
to be clear: indoor rock climbing
its very stable and safe, you can start easy with indoor bouldering where you're never more than 5 ft off the ground (and will by design and training fall on your back onto soft flooring if your muscles do give out)
belaying/auto belays are great for the tall stuff, you're safe cause you've either got a person or a device rated to hold your weight and more, and you'll never fall uncontrollably

the main downside you'll have to face is pretty high monthly fees, so to get good value you have to go frequently (ie more than once a week). most places also have a day fee if you just want to give it a go occasionally/for your first time.

to be clear: indoor rock climbing
its very stable and safe, you can start easy with indoor bouldering where you're never more than 5 ft off the ground (and will by design and training fall on your back onto soft flooring if your muscles do give out)
belaying/auto belays are great for the tall stuff, you're safe cause you've either got a person or a device rated to hold your weight and more, and you'll never fall uncontrollably

the main downside you'll have to face is pretty high monthly fees, so to get good value you have to go frequently (ie more than once a week). most places also have a day fee if you just want to give it a go occasionally/for your first time.
even when i have a harness on i get pretty freaked out unfortunately. i did a high ropes course in the trees one time in high school and even though i had a harness and line and everything i had a panic attack when i finished climbing the ladder lol

smoke more carts
im tryna smoke less cigs, so i'll probably end up doing that..

following hot on the heels of the christmas time thread: anyone have any new year's resolutions?
mine are both fitness related: do 1 unassisted pull-up and run a nonstop mile (doesn't matter how fast, just never breaking a running pace). i'd wanted to accomplish an unassisted pullup this year but didn't manage it so hopefully next year i can do it
if it's any help, try and pretend you are breaking the bar in half when you go for the pull up.

as for me, it's just to be better than i was last year. learn a new skill, keep working on hobbies, etc. very generic i know but improving myself is what keeps me going.