Author Topic: Made my Windows 10 PC look and feel like Windows XP for nostalgia  (Read 2056 times)

:cookieMonster:

Actual screenshot from an eMachines PC I rescued:

So far this is about as close as I can get it, even using a tool like customizergod to change icons. Turns out Win10 buries system icons in .dll.mun files, so they're hard to access unless you've elevated past TrustedInstaller (lol don't) so although I managed to change my Volume icon, changing the Network icon is seemingly not gonna happen. Thx Win10

The display is a Dell E773 LCD 75hz 4:3 1280*1024, yes I play CounterStrike 2 on it.. haha
Logitech Pro 9000 webcam from 2008-2009 (really nice)
Microsoft Wireless Desktop Elite Keyboard 1011, PS2 port but also USB compatible
Mouse is Corsair M65 Pro weighted mouse (very 2010s lol)
and the PC is a HP cash register PC running Windows Enterprise, that was thrown out by a UPS store that I cut a hole into the side to fit my graphics card, which currently is a GTX 950. PSU dosn't support my 3050 because only has 6 pin PCI power.

Does anyone know if I can get older Blockland versions running on this? I still have all my keys

Also, current music playlist is:

Suggestions!?
I probs need to add Gorillaz - DARE at least
trying to add all the songs that used to be in everyone's servers including my own

this is so scuffed but i love it

HAHA, thanks Ikr it's sick. I love how rigged it is, but it's totally reliable I've had this PC going for the past 2.5 years as an emulation PC for the home theatre setup.
Got six (6) monitors that someone was trying to dispose of.. that they couldn't fix, that I fixed and now my main display wants you to never talk to him or his son again

Spent the last two days perfecting the system icons and fonts and everything. I compared it to a screenshot from an eMachines I resurrected recently and it's nearly identical I'm so stoked

Seeing msn again gave me flashbacks. I miss the windows xp days

as a PC builder this has got to be one of the oddest setups I've seen. As janky as it may look I can't help but respect the work that went into this

I do have a couple questions and concerns though. Why is the case upside down? What are the internal specs? Your aloe plant looks like it may be dying or needs replanted into a bigger pot w/ new soil

as a PC builder this has got to be one of the oddest setups I've seen. As janky as it may look I can't help but respect the work that went into this

I do have a couple questions and concerns though. Why is the case upside down? What are the internal specs? Your aloe plant looks like it may be dying or needs replanted into a bigger pot w/ new soil
You're a PC builder but don't think the case is right-side-up? ;)
A lot of computers, especially weird form factor desktops/etc had weird proprietary motherboards that had an "upside-down" scheme, and since this is a cash register PC, it was most important for space savings. But yeah it's fine to have the mobo itself upside down, as long as airflow is alright
Aloe plant is fine, it is making pups, just has one fugly stalk
It's some i5 @3.2-3.5GHz, GTX 950 (though I own a 3050 but it's in my other PC), 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz, 500GB Samsung Evo SSD, 1.5TB WD Green from a million years ago

Update matching monitors. Left one needed backlight recap so I replaced the capacitors. Trying to find a third one
« Last Edit: August 07, 2024, 05:43:39 PM by JD »

You're a PC builder but don't think the case is right-side-up? ;)
A lot of computers, especially weird form factor desktops/etc had weird proprietary motherboards that had an "upside-down" scheme, and since this is a cash register PC, it was most important for space savings. But yeah it's fine to have the mobo itself upside down, as long as airflow is alright
in all my years of PC building I've never seen one with such a form factor lol. I think the closest thing I've seen was an old IBM slim form factor PC with a pentium 4 that laid on it's side, but I still don't recall the pcie slot being at the top like that, it's just strange to see. Anyways, the specs are pretty good - I am curious though, is the SSD an NVMe or using SATA? Some PCIe gen 3 motherboards do have an NVMe slot but it's on the rarer side to encounter.

in all my years of PC building I've never seen one with such a form factor lol. I think the closest thing I've seen was an old IBM slim form factor PC with a pentium 4 that laid on it's side, but I still don't recall the pcie slot being at the top like that, it's just strange to see. Anyways, the specs are pretty good - I am curious though, is the SSD an NVMe or using SATA? Some PCIe gen 3 motherboards do have an NVMe slot but it's on the rarer side to encounter.
Well, I can't say I've ever seen business/Point of Service terminals with NVMe drives, I think this is right around the cusp of them being ubiquitous, it's just a SATA Samsung 850 Evo SSD
I haven't, though, opened up any newer ones, though... so maybe it's a norm now. xD
Yeah I've seen lots of systems with this form factor though -- cuz I do a lot of picking of ewaste. LOL Most were HPs though like this one. It's really just an upside down mobo, I recall some desktop HP pcs that were a little weird had this sort of offset layout with the CPU socket on the opposite side of the board and the PCI slots further up for no reason other than I guess space saving and profit margins

logged in to say how mega based the playlist is.
i recommend adding finger eleven - paralyzer, soad - b.y.o.b, dreamscape, asking alexandria - not the american average, maybe some motionless in white and born of osiris, and 21 guns by green day for the complete late 2000s youtube experience.

logged in to say how mega based the playlist is.
i recommend adding finger eleven - paralyzer, soad - b.y.o.b, dreamscape, asking alexandria - not the american average, maybe some motionless in white and born of osiris, and 21 guns by green day for the complete late 2000s youtube experience.
what if I told you most of those are already on there? ;)
I just cut it off at like 2008 though, SOME 2009 music.
I added a ton of music the past few weeks! The playlist is so damn long it actually takes a minute to load the library into WMP. LOL

Thx 4 logging in just to share cx

literally all of the songs in the playlist in OP are good

Does anyone know if I can get older Blockland versions running on this? I still have all my keys
you should be able to if you use the B4v21 launcher, it can install/play older BL versions