Author Topic: DVD's wont play without terrible skipping.  (Read 997 times)

Every time I try to play a DVD on my laptop, it skips ALOT. I have tried cleaning the laser with rubbing alchohol and a q-tip as well as defragmenting (would that even matter?) and playing on two different players (Media Center and Media Player).

Im running Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit with 3gb RAM and a Intel Dual Core 2.50ghz.

Does anybody know what the hell is wrong?

Possibly a faulty DVD player, or the DVD may be scratched.

I dont think its the DVD's themselves, as I have tried several different ones and all of them had the skipping. It probably is the DVD drive, but I want to try everything possible before sending my laptop back in.

Every time I try to play a DVD on my laptop, it skips ALOT. I have tried cleaning the laser with rubbing alchohol and a q-tip as well as defragmenting (would that even matter?) and playing on two different players (Media Center and Media Player).

Im running Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit with 3gb RAM and a Intel Dual Core 2.50ghz.

Does anybody know what the hell is wrong?

That is your problem right there, vista is the worst thing that microsoft ever did. For example, I turned on my computer, and it said missing operating system. Vista completely is gone, I lost everything. /rant

Actually. you may have a broken lens. How new is your computer?

lol people want to blame vista for everything.
even CLEARLY things like this that have obviously nothing to do with the operating system.
a sign of someone that knows nothing about computers.

i would try putting divx formatted vids onto a dvd yourself, and seeing if you can playback them from on the disk.
find out if its just anything that wont work, or actual dvd movies.

if you have NEVER had dvds play right on that comp, maybe you lack proper codecs.
try finding some.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 12:52:48 AM by Bisjac »

even CLEARLY things like this that have obviously nothing to do with the operating system.

i would try putting divx formatted vids onto a dvd yourself, and seeing if you can playback them from on the disk.

if you have NEVER had dvds play right on that comp, maybe you lack proper codecs.
try finding some.

I use vista, works like a charm. Better then xp.

That is your problem right there, vista is the worst thing that microsoft ever did. For example, I turned on my computer, and it said missing operating system. Vista completely is gone, I lost everything. /rant

Actually. you may have a broken lens. How new is your computer?

Vista isnt bad, I have never had any problems with it.

My computer is pretty new, and my dad has the exact same kind and DVD's play fine on it.

try finding some.

DVD's played fine untill awhile ago. I think I will try the divx burning and report back.

You should also try a different media player like VLC media player. It works with every video format I know and its free and pretty simple to use.

Install a few different types of DVD software. Sounds crazy, but those cheap DVD software that come with Shrek/Harry Potter and Cyberlink PowerDVD fixed it for me.

You should also try a different media player like VLC media player. It works with every video format I know and its free and pretty simple to use.

Hooray, it works! Thanks <3.