Author Topic: Chemistry stuff topic  (Read 4658 times)

I'm making this topic to vent out my love of chemistry. As some of you, probably none, know, I'm currently doing my 3rd year in general chemistry bachelors (hopefully honors for the juicy extra lab course) and these days all I've been working on is chemistry, and some philosophy but mostly chemistry. I'll talk about some general chemistry stuff below

Or you can just scroll down to the videos

To start off, what exactly is chemistry?
It is the study of the properties of Matter. In chemistry, we concentrate on all things from Chemical Reactions to the behavior of infinitesimally small particles that help explain why those reactions happen.

What does chemistry do for me? Like what the forget do chemists do?
Chemists do a great deal for you. That soda pop you're drinking? A chemist devised what reagents to put into it's making, what reaction conditions needed to make it, etc.. That plastic keyboard you might be typing on, made of a type of plastic correct? A chemist constructed that plastic via a type of polyethylene synthesis in a lab somewhere, and then gave the formula to an industry so they could mass produce it. That aspirin you might need at the end of reading all this, made by a pharmaceutical chemist that does whatever the forget organic chemists do to make their stuff. I don't know, I never pay attention in my organic chemistry lectures.

Ok well what do you study? How do you learn how to make this crazy stuff?
Chemists start by studying the very basic rules of chemistry, stuff you learn in high school, and that set of rules is expanded afterwards but most of it remains unchanged. A good chemist is one that knows all the rules. If you know your basics, all the experiments you do in the lab become a breeze, because then you can figure out how the reactions in the lab experiments work and why you use this acid and not water or why you dump your reaction in a bucket of ice later on for whatever reason. It's all in the rules.

On a side note, most of the experiments are the very basic experiments that have left a good mark on the history of Chemistry and science in general, excluding the more dangerous ones of course like the synthesis of Nitroglycerin. I asked my prof if we could, he said no :'(

Chemistry is so god damned confusing, why do we need to learn this in high school? What's the point? I don't want to be a chemist
Man I know how you feel. The good news is at least that you might learn a few useful things on the way, like not to mix chemical solvents and the industrial cleaners they use at Mc Donalds.

tl;dr
Discuss general chemistry stuff here, chemistry videos, other chemistry stuff too for the heck of it. Chemistry-related questions are more then welcomed and I'll do everything in my powers to answer anything you throw at me, especially the challenging ones. How does this work? Why does this happen? What the forget is salt and why does it disappear in water? Stuff like that. I'll try to answer anything you throw at me.

Chemistry vids:
Alkali metals in water http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCk0lYB_8c0
Thermite http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrCWLpRc1yM
Nitroglycerin http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQ0RePZd3bg
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 09:26:18 PM by Muffinmix »

I love chemistry. I should be taking it next year. Honors.

vinegar+baking soda=bewm

it's more of a fsssssssh

I enjoy burning magnesium  :cookieMonster:

I totally got accepted at a state school to go into Chemical Engineering

Cant forgetin wait! :D

LOVE chem!

We had to use Magic Acid in the labs once.

forget that stuff was strong, our teacher dipped a candle in that stuff and if loving vanished! Acids don't usually attack organic compounds like Wax but this acid was pretty insane.

I have to take like four advanced chemistry courses for my electrical engineering degree.

Not complaining, it's actually important to understand.

I have to take like four advanced chemistry courses for my electrical engineering degree.
You'll probably end up taking Thermo chemistry and Electro chemistry I reckon, along with the 1st year courses. That's what engineers take back here anyhow. They always forget up our labs for some reason.

I'll look into it. I know my first two courses are are CHE107 and 108, general chemistry for engineers. Only chemical and electrical majors have to go past 107.

like not to mix chemical solvents and the industrial cleaners they use at Mc Donalds.
lol poison gas

jesus christ, I need to get me some thermite.

Francium + Water = Best party favor ever

I do Grade 10 Chem. However, I was away for the first half of the term but I'm not stupid and passed the exam.

1.  Make crystal methamphetamine in your school lab.
2.  Measure cocaine on the scales.
3.  Sell your product.
4.  ????
5.  PROFIT!