Author Topic: LEARN WHAT LAG IS!  (Read 3206 times)

I am sick of people, Coming into my server, Seeing one of my more, Brick-heavy builds and shouting "LAAAaAaAaGGGZ!".
I wish people would just LEARN what lag is, And for those of you who don't know *Cough*Acidic*Cough*, I would like you to read this:

Lag: (1) A time delay between the output of a signal and the response of the instrument to which the signal is sent.

In English, This means that there is a slowdown in the connection, and players seem to... blip around, Instead of walking, Like this:

(In this example, the "player" is walking forward (Right).)

frame 1
___H_____
Player = H

frame 2
_______H_

frame 3
______H__

frame 4
________H

frame 5
_______H_

Okay, I hope I have defined lag basically enough for noobs like Acidic to understand...

Well what are they saying "lag" is? Bricks can cause lag.

I know what lag is, in referance to internet/LAN communication.  However, in regards to Blockland, the term "lag" is often used to describe the effect that is experienced when someone's CPU/video card can't handle the number of bricks on-screen.  As such, they experience extreme slow-down, and terrible framerates.  So, they can't walk, move, or do hardly anything because their computer is to bogged down rendering all the bricks.  While this may not be "true" lag (in referance to LAN communication and such), it has similar effects, in that the players are basically stuck, and can't do anything.  At least, this is the way it seems to me.  For Blockland, that is.  Does anyone have a suggestion for a better term?  Mouser X over.

Mouser X put it in a very good way. Although I think that the amount of the bricks can slow down the servers connection speed by sharing data between users? I'm not quite sure.

I know what lag is, I just yell it to annoy people like nige111... Not really. Although I suppose that could define lag in a nutshell, someone once gave me a really long explenation.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2006, 06:09:33 PM by Wedge »

good topic this will reduce a small number of noobs so im up for you  support

My lag crashes my comp sometimes...

If your own lag crashes your comp, you either need to get a new computer or better internet, or both. :cookieMonster:

Ooo I foubnd it my bro messed up my lag threshhold and all my options... I was changed to Micheal Jackson!
(Yes, my bro couldn't spell)

My servers will often have so many bricks that clients get the network error notice.

What I am saying, Is that people with bad/old computers come in my server, Look at something brick heavy and say lag, Where everyone else (Withe better computers) see nothing, I am a perfectionist (Damnit >.<) and it really annoys me (Or it could be my Aspergers syndome...).