Author Topic: Computer upgrades  (Read 6406 times)

I know nothing about computers so I need some help with this;
I'm thinking of getting more ram and a better video card for my computer, thing is, I don't know how much my computer could handle or what type of ram to buy, etc.

I'm assuming I would need to list my motherboard, but I don't know where to find that info.
Help is greatly appreciated.

If you want to upgrade your ram, I suggest going here: http://www.crucial.com/
They can easily help you figure out what type of ram your computer uses. Next you have to figure out what type of graphics card interface you have(PCI-e or AGP). AGP is usually a brown slot and about as long as a white PCI slot. A PCI-e slot is usually black, and sometimes blue, it is also about the same length as a PCI slot but it is thinner. Also if you plan to get a better graphics card, you may need a more powerful power supply, especially if your computer was made by a company like Dell or HP (also newer Dells are very limited in their upgrade cababilities).

Sweet, thanks.
I have a Dell C521, What would be the best card of my power supply and is there any other way to find out what interface I have? I don't want to open my computer right now to check.

Hm. For some reason the website you gave me only sees that I have 512 mb of RAM, while dxdiag states that I have 1gig, could this be a problem?
« Last Edit: October 11, 2008, 11:04:42 PM by Vertzer »

Your system info can all be found here....

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dimC521/en/SM_EN/specs.htm

Looks like you have a x16 PCIe slot but the case isn't very large and the powersupply isn't going to help much. You will need to shoot for a low end card (still a big upgrade for you).

The 9500GT http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130378 would be a good choice (power comes from the motherboard).

The 9500GT would be a good choice.
Thanks.
Is that really a low end card? I thought the 9500 GT's were supposed to be all awesome. Is there anything better I could get or is that pretty much the best?
I can spend around $200 total.

If possible I would also like to get a clarification on the RAM problem.

I've got the exact same computer.
I'm upgrading to an HD4850 or 9800gtx+, getting 2gb RAM and an AMD 6000+. You have 1 PCI-e slot, a 320w power supply, your ram is 800DDR2, and you have an AM2+ processor slot thing. You need to upgrade your power supply like I did. Also your case is tiny as forget, so get a new one or you'll have to keep the case open. I don't recommend the 9800gtx or any dual slot card because you have 30mm of space between the PCI-e slot and the cover of the CPU, and that card is 32mm thick.

9500gt is what I would consider low end. I've got an 8600gts at the moment, I can play any game on at least medium settings at my native resolution. 9600+ is what you should get (but since you can spend $200, get the HD4850, its single slot and has THE best price to power ratio on the market)

Upgrading the power supply or case isn't an option for me right now.
Only things I can upgrade are Ram and video card.

Read my edit, and without a better power supply I recommend what Reactor Worker linked you to, but its still wider than your case.

Read my edit, and without a better power supply I recommend what Reactor Worker linked you to, but its still wider than your case.
:(
Is there anything that would allow me to keep the case closed?

Hm. Well at this point I'm thinking of just saving up for a whole new custom built computer.

At my rate it'd take me maybe a year a two. Anyway, thanks to everyone who helped.

At my rate it'd take me maybe a year a two. Anyway, thanks to everyone who helped.
Work hard, and try to earn promotions.

That's the thing, I don't work.
I simply don't have the time.