Author Topic: Laptop Purchase Help?  (Read 3319 times)

I'm planing on buying a Toshiba L305D-S5900 very soon and I wanted to know how well it would run Blockland, The Orange Box, and Left4Dead. If it can't run any of those, can anyone make another suggestion that's under $650 including tax (I'm in Michigan, so tax is .06) or S/H?

Bump because I'm going to get it on Wednesday.

Sorry for triple post, but here are the specs.

Can't you just check the minimal requirments of the games and look yourself if it can run the games?

That's what I'm doing, but I don't know if the ATI Radeon X1250 is better or worse than the requirements. I guess it would run Blockland, but I don't know how well.

I'm looking at the back of the box right now and it says "ATI Radeon Graphics". I think this is a good sign, but I would like some feedback on this. And sorry for all the posting.

At least get an NVidia. They're the best. (I got a booster for my Intel set, goes a lot better.)

ATI sucks. GeForce FTW
Quote from:  CHEESE link=topic=51214.msg821147#msg821147 date= 1227375175
At least get NVidia. They're the best. (I got a booster for my Intel set, goes a lot better.)

Thanks for the feedback, but that's not what I was asking.

That laptop seems a little outdated and too expensive. The x1250 only has 128MB of low quality RAM. It might be able to run Orange Box and L4D at really low-medium settings as the native resolution is 1280x800(which isn't good for a 15.4" screen). It could run Blockland if you turn the draw distance to minimum probably.

Is there any reason you need a laptop over a desktop? A desktop will always give you better performance for a lower price, it's just not easily portable.

I can't really make any suggestions though. The only laptop I've ever had is my (awesome) MacBook Pro. But Apple stuff is too expensive for your budget.

At least get an NVidia. They're the best. (I got a booster for my Intel set, goes a lot better.)
ATI sucks. GeForce FTW
Shut up, you don't even know what you're talking about.

« Last Edit: November 22, 2008, 12:01:49 PM by Otis Da HousKat »

Judging from my laptop, which has an ATI card, and my desktop, which has an Nvidia card, Nvidia seems to not always give the best quality, but holy stuff does it run things flawlessly.
ATI seems to try and over work itself and won't even let me turn Anti Aliasing off, causing low performance in most games, including Blockland.

That laptop seems a little outdated and too expensive. The x1250 only has 128MB of low quality RAM. It might be able to run Orange Box and L4D at really low-medium settings as the native resolution is 1280x800(which isn't good for a 15.4" screen). It could run Blockland if you turn the draw distance to minimum probably.

Is there any reason you need a laptop over a desktop? A desktop will always give you better performance for a lower price, it's just not easily portable.

I can't really make any suggestions though. The only laptop I've ever had is my (awesome) MacBook Pro. But Apple stuff is too expensive for your budget.
Judging from my laptop, which has an ATI card, and my desktop, which has an Nvidia card, Nvidia seems to not always give the best quality, but holy stuff does it run things flawlessly.
ATI seems to try and over work itself and won't even let me turn Anti Aliasing off, causing low performance in most games, including Blockland.

Thanks Otis and Vert. The reason I want a laptop over a desktop is because of portability. I don't really care if the laptop can't run the games on the highest settings, just decently with little to no lag. Any other suggestions as to what I might want to buy?

if I were you I'd shed another $50 - $100 to get this
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4138011&Sku=SYXS-DG-038800
And then another $50 to buy 2 more gigs of ram.

Then again, that PC would have been a lot cheaper if you were to build your own.

Is there any way to install a different video card into a laptop?

Is there any way to install a different video card into a laptop?
Not easily, and not without voiding some kind of warranty probably.

And some laptops just have the RAM/CPU/GPU hardwired in you can't remove them.