Author Topic: Slowly buying parts for my first PC build :)  (Read 3437 times)

So I decided that I would really like to build my own PC since the one I'm using at the moment is starting to date.  I've been making a list of the parts to get for the past few weeks and figure that by the time I get enough saved up the prices will drop a bit more.  I just made my first buys today :)

Ordered:

Saving for:

Total:$759.88
Remaining: $679.94

I know that the CPU will go down in price very soon since the i7 s just came out, so I'm looking forward to that pricey cut.  Any comments?  Suggestions?  Maybe building a PC of your own soon? :)

UPDATE: The price on the CPU went down $10 today for a while for the "pre-black friday sale".  I hope it drops more soon :)  The price of the case I bought went up $10 today, too.. Yay me buying it yesterday.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 03:20:07 PM by Spaceomega »

You must have saved a lot of money! o:

No monitor? Are you using an old, beige box?

You must have saved a lot of money! o:
I spent what I've saved so far ($80 for the case/disk drive).

I already have a great monitor.  A nice 24" Gateway LCD.  I got it at a much lower price than is listed there, though ($288 compared to their $500).

Weirdly enough, I have an old beige flatscreen monitor. It's max resolution is 1024x768, though :(

A good build. You chose a decent set of parts and it should all work well together.

My only concern is the 1TB HDD. Is that really necessary? If possible, you could save $40 and just get a 500GB. You then use the $40 to proper CPU cooler so you can overclock it and keep it nice and cool.

save money for racing stripe stickers. makes the pooter faster

I tried on mine and it goes 10 times faster.

A good build. You chose a decent set of parts and it should all work well together.

My only concern is the 1TB HDD. Is that really necessary? If possible, you could save $40 and just get a 500GB. You then use the $40 to proper CPU cooler so you can overclock it and keep it nice and cool.
It'll probably be down in price $10 to $30 by the time I get around to buying it.  The 1TB HDD and the CPU are the two things that I've been pretty solid with.  Plus I'd use up 500GB and be sad that I didn't get the 1TB ;)  As for overclocking - I don't really plan to do much/any, as I don't know much of anything about it.  If I get to a point where I'd like to seriously overclock, I'll invest in some better cooling at that time.

This is true?  I shall look into some premium racing stripes on newegg.

Be prepared to be flexible when you do get the money. You will likely find there are newer, better parts for a better deal somewhere. It's generally better to choose parts when you have the money, not before.

Be prepared to be flexible when you do get the money. You will likely find there are newer, better parts for a better deal somewhere. It's generally better to choose parts when you have the money, not before.
I'm constantly changing the parts around for this reason.  I always check for better deals on things before I buy them (and just randomly when I get bored).  For instance, an hour before I purchased the case this morning I had a different case on my spreadsheet.  I changed it from a more expensive overall one that was not only cheaper overall, but also more functional. :)

Also, I'm not entirely happy with my choice of a mobo, any suggestions for a better one for under $100?

Good luck. I am hoping to do this eventually. I have always wanted to build and customize. I am saving before I start planning so I can assemble it quicker and not have bits and pieces everywhere.

I'm constantly changing the parts around for this reason.  I always check for better deals on things before I buy them (and just randomly when I get bored).  For instance, an hour before I purchased the case this morning I had a different case on my spreadsheet.  I changed it from a more expensive overall one that was not only cheaper overall, but also more functional. :)

Also, I'm not entirely happy with my choice of a mobo, any suggestions for a better one for under $100?

EP-43 is a good mobo. About the same price I believe. Not a whole lot different though. Just avoid the stuff brands like "Jetway" and friends.

LIES

Use cheetah' blood.

LIES

Use cheetah' blood.
Can I use cheetah blood in a liquid cooling system that has racing stripe stickers along the tubing?