Author Topic: What is wrong with my guitar amp?  (Read 1188 times)

I need help determining the problem with a Vox Valvetronix AD30VT guitar amp. I have owned this amp for two years. The tube (one 12AX7) went out so I replaced it with a Ruby tube. The amp works again, but the volume is inconsistent (it swells) and the tone is overall garbage. This amp used to sound good at low volumes, but now the only way to get a decent sound out if it is to turn the volume and wattage all the way up. What's going on? How can I fix this? I have a gig in less than a month.

I have never had to work with an amp myself, but I know the resistors can go to stuff easily.

Basic electric maintenance procedures would tell you to check the resistance of every part from the start of input if you have no idea what the problem is. If they differ greatly from what they should be you have a bad part.

Did you make sure the conector pins for the tube were totally clean?
Try swabbing the pins with alcohol,(use a quetip) and then using a clean lintless rag of some sort(preferably a lense cleaner) to wipe the pins clean. If that doesnt work, It may be the a fuse beginning to fail, which you would need to find the voltage and amepereage for, then replace. And if that doesnt work, get it professionaly checked out.

Ruby tube
Rube tuby

Get a Marshall amp, they are good. I have a 100W one, man it goes. Sound patrol got called at below half master volume.

Rube tuby

Get a Marshall amp, they are good. I have a 100W one, man it goes. Sound patrol got called at below half master volume.
I assume he wants to keep the current one he has.
And I myself dont know much about amp repair, seeing as I never had to fix one myself.
I'd say follow cnc's advice.

I assume he wants to keep the current one he has.
And I myself dont know much about amp repair, seeing as I never had to fix one myself.
I'd say follow cnc's advice.
I meant it as if he ever wanted to replace it.

Rube tuby

You didn't read. I have a gig in less than a month.

Have you cracked it open and looked at the internals? It sounds like you have a loose wire somewhere...

Have you cracked it open and looked at the internals? It sounds like you have a loose wire somewhere...
Most likely.  What tube came with the amp, maybe buy that one if its available :P
I've never had to work with an amp, myself...sorry I couldn't give the best advice.
Good luck with the gig!