Author Topic: Atoms and Cells  (Read 5747 times)

Ok this is the major scientific question thats bugging me

So everything is made of atoms, right? And that basically means that cells are also made of atoms too. But cells have specific parts like the nucleus and DNA, but if all of them are made of atoms, how can one part digest, but another part cant? Also, how can atoms store information, like memorizing and whatnot. Also, how can cells be differenciated if they are all made out of atoms?

A bit complex, but thats basically it.

if you see this message, forget you stop reminding me of this >:(
« Last Edit: June 10, 2021, 06:35:01 PM by Conan »

That's like saying "Just because my computer is made of metal and plastic, then why can't my toaster install programs?"

That's like saying "Just because my computer is made of metal and plastic, then why can't my toaster install programs?"
QFT

That's like saying "Just because my computer is made of metal and plastic, then why can't my toaster install Half-Life?"
Seriously, why can't it?! That's so dumb, I'm going to sue toaster makers everywhere!

Ok this is the major scientific question thats bugging me

So everything is made of atoms, right? And that basically means that cells are also made of atoms too. But cells have specific parts like the nucleus and DNA, but if all of them are made of atoms, how can one part digest, but another part cant? Also, how can atoms store information, like memorizing and whatnot. Also, how can cells be differenciated if they are all made out of atoms?

A bit complex, but thats basically it.

You have no idea how adoms work. I'll try to answer your questions (Yes science!)

So everything is made of atoms, right?
Correct.
And that basically means that cells are also made of atoms too.
Of course.
 But cells have specific parts like the nucleus and DNA, but if all of them are made of atoms, how can one part digest, but another part cant?
Each Cell part is made of lots of atoms. They have different elements and whatnot.
 Also, how can atoms store information, like memorizing and whatnot.
I honestly have no idea. I have a feeling it has to do with the arrangement of atoms. DNA stores information this way.
Also, how can cells be differenciated if they are all made out of atoms?
As said before, hundreds, if not thousands, (if not millions, I'm not sure) of atoms in each cell.

The human body has 70 trillion atoms.

There are tons of types of atoms.

See : Periodic Table

Hurf.

You have the quarks or whatever that make up the protons and neutrons, and there are different types of quarks for that, then you have the electrons, and different numbers of those three particles (protons neutrons electrons) make different elements (atoms of them) which combine into molecules which are then made into things like cells, usually.

Basically, cells are made of atoms, but compared to atoms cells are gargantuan.

DNA is a cell's "memory" as you call it, or information. It's a complex molecule made out of Desoxyribo Nuclear Acids (DNA) bits, which are fairly small molecules in themselves, but DNA strands are comprised of a huge number of these bits. The largest molecules and the basic building blocks that make up your cells are Proteins, which are pretty gigantic as well. DNA is used to coordinate creation and folding of proteins to get the right shape with the right sites and such so the protein can do what it does (usually catalyze chemical reactions).

Cells are usually divided in compartments (lysosomes and ribosomes and all that other jaz) by walls of specific fat molecules, which hold a Hydrophobic (water repelling) end and hydrophylic (water loving) end. When these are surrounded by water, they will bunch up to keep their hydrophobic ends dry, so they will form Double Layered walls (keeping the water-hating hydrophobic ends inside the wall and the Hydrophylic ends forming the inner and outer faces of the wall). This is the basic principle of compartmentalization in cells, and how chemical processes like Digestion can be excluded from the rest of the cell.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2008, 11:16:16 PM by Muffinmix »

There are tons of types of atoms.

See : Periodic Table

Hurf.

You have the quarks or whatever that make up the protons and neutrons, and there are different types of quarks for that, then you have the electrons, and different numbers of those three particles (protons neutrons electrons) make different elements (atoms of them) which combine into molecules which are then made into things like cells, usually.

Don't forget different isotopes of an atom. Basically: Times the periodic table by three, and its bigger then that.

DNA is a cell's "memory" as you call it, or information. It's a complex molecule made out of Desoxyribo Nuclear Acids (DNA) bits, which are fairly small molecules in themselves, but DNA strands are comprised of a huge number of these bits. The largest molecules and the basic building blocks that make up your cells are Proteins, which are pretty gigantic as well. DNA is used to coordinate creation and folding of proteins to get the right shape with the right sites and such so the protein can do what it does (usually catalyze chemical reactions).

I believe he was wondering how the human memory works. I am unsure about this. However, I believe it may work in a similar fashion. BRB< Wikiped-ing it.

Science is like my crack. I can't get enough.

Yeah well I could have said it slightly differently to show that part too.

Also Muffinmix just did like a whole semester's worth of  "Intro to molecular biology" right there.

Human memory is currently believed to operate via 'burning' neural pathways into your brain (as by repetition of actions or thoughts, or strength thereof).

Holy stuff memory is complicated http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memory
Yeah well I could have said it slightly differently to show that part too.

Also Muffinmix just did like a whole semester's worth of  "Intro to molecular biology" right there.

Human memory is currently believed to operate via 'burning' neural pathways into your brain (as by repetition of actions or thoughts, or strength thereof).
thanks for your amazingly simple explanation.

I calls' it as I reads' it in the occasional scientific magazine article.

Potassium Cation Concentrations in your brain cells is what gives you memory I believe. The brain cells transfer the cations around extremely fast, creating electric potentials in your brain which store and process information.

I calls' it as I reads' it in the occasional scientific magazine article.

How does this burning work with short term memory? Clearly this memory has to be replaced fairly quickly. (I want to say within 5 seconds) Also, I love scientific articals. Popular mechanics, Scientific American, Mental_Floss, Physorg FTW.

Pro-tip: Stay in school

They had a Nat Geo article on the brain and the theory behind memory. I suggest you go lurk for it.