Author Topic: The new and improved 3D model topic!  (Read 3912322 times)

that was just an example, i mean modeling without reference, how do you decide your starting point?

modeling without reference is loving hard and a waste of time. if you don't have a reference, whip out some pen and pencil and draw something in 2d.

here's an example of some stuff i draw when i got no references

the starting point is usually to have a flat 2d reference on the best point of view, and to trace with edges and vertices the outlines of the reference. after that it's a matter of extruding and adding details
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 01:51:50 PM by PhantOS »

that was just an example, i mean modeling without reference, how do you decide your starting point?

i usually start with the largest part of the model, or the most unique looking part of the model and then base everything off of that

optionally just eyeball it (@phanto's demonstration of using a ref image)

the ref image allows you to figure out whats the critical parts of a design and model it accordingly

well i tried
hows this?
(yes i know one of the faces inside the barrel is forgeted up, blame p3d)
Thunderbarrel

that actually looks pretty good and unique.

There's a missing face inside the barrel.  Other then that, the gun looks pretty neat.

There's a missing face inside the barrel.  Other then that, the gun looks pretty neat.
die
edit : i made a second version, in this one the lightning is yellow
https://p3d.in/wypIG
cant decide which is better
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 04:35:39 PM by crazies alt »

die
edit : i made a second version, in this one the lightning is yellow
https://p3d.in/wypIG
cant decide which is better
FIX THE forgetIN FACE

also this is better

FIX THE forgetIN FACE
it is literally p3d's fault
this has happened before on an SMG i made, its not because of inverted faces or anything, the face just doesnt appear at all.
and i dont know why either, downloading the model from p3d and importing it to blender shows the face, but its lighting is forgeted up
so uh yeah no im not fixing that sorry ask p3d to fiix their own stuff

The face is inverted, that's why it's not showing up in p3d / the lighting is forgeted up in Blender

P3D doesn't have backface culling, so tris/polygons that are inside out are gonna appear invisible in games and have weird lighting in Blender

If you press the N key while Blender's 3D view is active, it'll bright up a side menu that you can scroll through to disable the backface culling option

The face is inverted, that's why it's not showing up in p3d / the lighting is forgeted up in Blender
it cant be inverted because i made normals consistent.
backface culling was already disabled.

P3D doesn't have backface culling, so tris/polygons that are inside out are gonna appear invisible in games and have weird lighting in Blender

If you press the N key while Blender's 3D view is active, it'll bright up a side menu that you can scroll through to disable the backface culling option
p3d does have backface culling...??

it cant be inverted because i made normals consistent.
backface culling was already disabled.
hitting "recalculate normals" doesnt guarantee the normals will actually be consistent in direction. enable showing normals in the n panel to see which way they're pointing.

p3d does have backface culling...??
I have no idea what i was thinking when i posted that, i meant to say to enable backface culling in Blender, and that P3D DOES use backface culling, so that inverted faces are gonna appear invisible in games, but will have weird lighting to them in Blender if the culling is disabled
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 08:22:29 PM by Masterlegodude »