Author Topic: The forgetin Conficker virus got me. BUT I BOUNCED BACK LIKE MAGIC J (wordswords)  (Read 1616 times)

(i have vista, and vista caused none of the problems in this thread)

ok,

a long time ago i downloaded some stuffty game online and i got a virus, this was about 6 months ago. my computer wasn't destroyed by the virus however a stuff load of stuff was bugged. the most particular thing that happened to my pc that nobody has ever even heard of was that my explorer.exe was taking up 50% of my cpu. i have a really nice processor so there was no reason for explorer.exe to be taking up this much cpu. whenever something that took up a lot of cpu space besides explorer.exe happened the taskbar at the bottom would just freeze up and clicking it did nothing, so when this happened id have to cntrl-alt-del to start up task manager and close explorer.exe and start it up again. this drove me crazy because i had to do it atleast 5 times every time i was on my PC.

so anyways, recently my computer had been acting up. out of the blue, .dll's were dissapearing from forgetin everything, games, programs, firefox.  i'd go online to download the .dll's but the next day they would just be gone again. and then today, i started up my PC, and .dll's from system32 were missing. at this point i finally got fed up with having a super buggy PC and having to fandangle EVERYTHING to make it work right. so i spent a couple hours lookin for my windows vista install cd (yesterday i backed up all my important stuff onto my other hard drive). once i finally found the cd i started the installation over again. i waited about an hour for it finish and let me set up my preferences. during the set up i was asked to verify the date and time. it was forgetin april fools day.

but now i have a brand new vista so everything is cool, and i feel great, its like i conquered the computer version of aids.

(this probably isnt the conficker virus but who gives a stuff cause i finally fixed my computer)

tl;dr: He got a virus that deleted .dll files and then reinstalled vista and everything is happy now

Well... I don't THINK I have it. Nothing screwy so far.

you conquered aids :D

Also nothings happening to me yet, so far.

(this probably isnt the conficker virus but who gives a stuff cause i finally fixed my computer)

Well at least it's ov-
reinstalled vista
It's coming on back reeeeal soon

Well at least it's ov-It's coming on back reeeeal soon
NOOO.

VISTA ISN'T A PROBLEM. STUPID USERS ARE >:(

NOOO.

VISTA ISN'T A PROBLEM. STUPID USERS ARE >:(
ARE YOU SURE YOU WANT TO RUN THIS PROGRAM?
NOW INSTALLING NOTAVIRUS.EXE

Bacon did the virus delete your spelling and grammar too?

I feel your loss.

It's an option silly.

At first I thought you were sarcastic because "notavirus.exe" would make me think of a virus. So I thought you were saying the UAC is good at times.

But then I saw you were just using it as a "this is not a virus, but it still asks me about it".

Anyway, it's an option, like what General Nick said.

At first I thought you were sarcastic because "notavirus.exe" would make me think of a virus. So I thought you were saying the UAC is good at times.

But then I saw you were just using it as a "this is not a virus, but it still asks me about it".

Anyway, it's an option, like what General Nick said.
Actually I meant both. Non-viruses have that annoying pop-up and yet it never asks about viruses that run for no reason.

On the subject of bug fixes, I can now use image shack and all youtube videos again. Before some videos would give an error saying I have an old flash version even if it is updated or I have Java turned off. Now I can watch all the videos.

Actually I meant both. Non-viruses have that annoying pop-up and yet it never asks about viruses that run for no reason.
UAC is enabled by default I think, and can be easily turned off. After that, you'll probably just get those security pop ups like "Do you want to run this .exe", keep in mind it's not "This program needs your permission to start up lol". Those can be disabled too.