Author Topic: Viking Invasion: Viking Longship  (Read 2700 times)

So, another build's been finished. Of coarse, this was one of my smaller projects.

For the next addition to the Viking Invasion, I've build a classic depiction of a Viking Longship. In the late 8th through early 11th centuries, the Vikings would use ships like these to raid coastlines, transport soldiers and goods, and travel long distances. I'd noticed that the Blockland Community had yet to produce one of these ships, so I took up the duty! Here's the result:

I present to you, the Viking Longship!

Be prepared to see several pictures of the same build from different angles.

-First, let's start with 3 basic vieww from the front and back of the ship. From here, you see the colorful shields the crew of warriors decorated the port and starboard sides of the ship with. You also see the red and white sail. For medieval villagers in early Europe, seeing these sails on the horizon was a sign of approaching death, torture, and ultimately, doom for the village they lived in.

-These two shots feature the intimidating, carved wood dragon heads on the bow and stern of the ship. These frightening dragon heads were meant to protect the crew from the sea monsters from Norse Mythology, and to strike fear in the hearts of their enemies.

-This image is a view from the stern of the ship's deck, looking toward the bow, and across the primitive benches for rowers to sit while propelling this seaworthy ship.

-Here's full view of the ship outside of the water it sails in. You can see the beautiful (and annoying and difficult as hell to make) curvature of the ship's ends.

-Last, but definitely not least, a beautiful, ominous view of the ship in a dangerous ocean storm.

Why no oars, you ask? You try making perfectly slanted, perfectly sized oars in this game without making them look too huge or too choppy. :(

Well, thank you all for bothering to read another one of my unnecessarily detailed threads. If you wish, please rate this build on a scale of #/10. If you have any advice on how to improve this build, please post it!

Thanks again! 

Just like the last one, reaaly awesome. I like how you do yuor research, too. :D

dont know why but i really hate the shield =/ yes it looks good and all but i just dont like them

dont know why but i really hate the shield =/ yes it looks good and all but i just dont like them

Eh. No other way to do it.

i dont know why i dont like them. wasn't against the shields anyway.

Knarrrr, matey! That there be a fine Viking ship!
9.5/10 btw.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 09:23:17 AM by Jaxx050 »

Knarrrr, matey! That there be a fine Viking ship!
9.5/10 btw.

Viking weren't pirates... well actually they were sort of by the definition of a pirate but they didn't have hook hands and pegs legs and all that.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 10:56:59 AM by Littledude1222 »

Is it a Longship or Longboat. I think it is Longboat.

Is it a Longship or Longboat. I think it is Longboat.

This type was a Longship.

X-Cuse me mr. viking invader, but vikings went below deck and rowed with long oars through small openings. If the boat is hollow I suggest you make that

Very nice, I like the detail you put into small builds. 10/10 from me.

X-Cuse me mr. viking invader, but vikings went below deck and rowed with long oars through small openings. If the boat is hollow I suggest you make that

Not always. :o

You may be getting confused with larger, non-Norse ships, like Roman and Greek ones. Vikings never matched the scale of those of the Roman empire.