Author Topic: Thinking about overclocking CPU on Compaq.  (Read 769 times)

This is the garbage computer with the Intel integrated graphics that hates all 3d applications. I'm surprised it even runs Vista.

Anyway, I was thinking of finding a budget upgrade to get a better GPU, but the second problem would be the fact that I have a measly Intel Celeron 420.@1.6ghz.

I was going to try a very, very small overclock to even see if the mobo supports it. I was then going to see how well the stock cooling would work. (42C at stock idle...any way to increase fan speed?)

My general goal would be 2.0ghz or more, but 2.2 would be great. Of course, I'll find a better CPU fan if overclocking turns out well. I don't have the money to buy a whole new CPU, which is why I want to overclock.

I'm generally planning on a low-mid end GPU, and a CPU fan within the price range of 20-35.

The slider on the power supply says "115," not exactly sure what it means.

I don't want to hear comments about inexperience, as the whole point of me doing this is to learn, as well as to get more out of my CPU without buying a better one.

Are you even able to alter the BIOS setting on that prebuilt? I know many of them come locked so you can't overclock anyway.

Yeah...I'll check when I get the chance.

I know HP's and Dell's can't overclock. I wouldn't be surprised if your locked out.

The red slider on the power supply in the back is something to do with voltage from the A/C I think.
Don't touch it.

That's to fix problems if you change from Europe to america, due to differences in voltages. As Nick said, don't mess with it.

That's to fix problems if you change from Europe to america, due to differences in voltages. As Nick said, don't mess with it.

This. The typical voltage from a North American wall outlet is ~104-130 AC.

This. The typical voltage from a North American wall outlet is ~104-130 AC.
aka 115.