Author Topic: Problems Changing Airboat Model  (Read 1018 times)

I made a very basic boat in Blender 3D, and I have been trying to replace the Airboat shape with my boat model, but every time I try to spawn the vehicle in the GUI an error comes up and the game crashes. My model has a collision mesh parented to Detail32, and it has two mount points (mount0 and mount1) parented to Detail 32. I think the problem has to do with no emitter mount (I don't know how to insert one) on my model or it has something to do with the sequences in the script, but I'm new to scripting so I'm not certain. I did manage to replace the speedboat with this same model, but the Airboat script is much better.

Collision should be named Col and should be parented to an empty named Col0, then that empty should be parented to the shape empty. Detail 32 should also be parented to shape.

Col
   \
   Col0
       \
         \
          (Shape)
               /
  Detail32
     /
Mesh, Armatures, etc

In the end, everyhting is parented to the empty named shape.

I used the default Blender hierarchy and I was able to get my model to work with the speedboat script. But for some reason it won't work with the horse or Airboat script and I don't think it's the hierarchy. I don't understand how the Airboat is set up which is why I'm having trouble changing the model to my own.

It is the dsq files. You need to make your own animations because the airboat's use differant joints. Check console when you spawn and find the vehicleand see what is wrong.

Oh okay, that's what the problem is. Is there a way to replace the model to my own without having to make my own animations? I tried removing the sequence section of the Airboat script and changing the shape file to my model, but then the vehicle doesn't appear in the GUI.

The wrench GUI? You have to look in the script for the dts and replace that with the name of your dts so it says something like this.
mymodel.dts
Then make sure you export animations seperate as .dsq files and name them the same as the ones from the airboat.

Oh okay, that's what the problem is. Is there a way to replace the model to my own without having to make my own animations? I tried removing the sequence section of the Airboat script and changing the shape file to my model, but then the vehicle doesn't appear in the GUI.

well for player types you have to have an animation, use root. replace all the dsq names in the script to root.dsq then make the animation. All it is is all the bones that you'll be animating staying still. The default position, so just keyframe them for the first frame and export. I made a full tut here:
http://forum.blockland.us/index.php?topic=66763.0

I made a full tut here:
http://forum.blockland.us/index.php?topic=66763.0
I decided not to use the Airboat script after all because it's just too complicated, but I will try your tutorial later; it seems very helpful.

Thanks for the help, but I dropped the Airboat script. I decided to use the Biplane script instead, and it works even better. I managed to have the boat only work on water, but it flips when the pitch is too steep. Is there a way to limit the amount of pitch and roll for the boat? I don't want to set them to zero because I want the boat to be able to recover when it hits a barrier, unlike the speedboat.

How did you edit the Biplane to make it float? I don't see how that is possible.

I lowered the mass and density to allow the boat to float without bouncing up and down excessively, I reduced the drag, and I increased the body friction to prevent the boat from moving on land. After various other tweaks I made the boat handle almost perfectly with the Biplane script, despite the flipping problem. Here's a pic for proof:

Is it possible to limit pitch and roll for a vehicle?

But for the biplane, doesn't it fly? how did you make it not?

Also, I wish I could help but I cannot find it because when i edited the biplane, it spazed in the air.

But for the biplane, doesn't it fly? how did you make it not?
No it doesn't leave the water. It acts just like the airboat, but you can roll, pitch, and yaw while driving it. The only problems I have with it is the flipping when the pitch is too high and it flies away sporadically when it explodes (due to it's low mass). I'll release it soon so you can see how I did it.

No it doesn't leave the water. It acts just like the airboat, but you can roll, pitch, and yaw while driving it. The only problems I have with it is the flipping when the pitch is too high and it flies away sporadically when it explodes (due to it's low mass). I'll release it soon so you can see how I did it.
There is a pitch and yaw in the biplane's script. If you want to you could PM me it and I could have a look but I don't know what I would even be able to do.

Using an flying datablock for use in a boat is very buggy. (In my experience)

I suggest you tweak using a player datablock (Such as the Airboat code)

For you too see the bones and all the stuff you need in the original Airboat model, I suggest you get TorqueShowTool Pro or Shaper (A 3D modelling software that can import DTS files)

Also, keep in mind what kind of vehicle datablock you are using. If you are using a player datablock, it does not require any collision, as it has a bounding box (which also acts as collision) which is in the script itself.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2009, 07:41:52 PM by Jaydee »