Author Topic: Parthenon (WIP - sort of)  (Read 1872 times)

The Parthenon
also known as Παρθενών

Description
I started this build a while back, some time around April maybe. I had made a lot of progress, but stopped because of a lack of ideas. I had most of it finished, rather accurately too, but I could not seem to find out what went in the west chamber. I kept putting it on hold until I finally just started working on a new project, and the Parthenon sank into the depths of my save files. Recently, after seeing Placid's thread here, I decided to start work on it again.

Now, before I post pictures, I'd like to clarify a few things. I am not going entirely for detail in this build; historical accuracy is my goal. This is the full scaled Parthenon, and it is surprisingly close in accuracy. It has the exact same number of columns, extremely similar dimensions (it even matches up with the golden ratio, a ratio that was common in ancient Greek architecture), and similar details. Considering the Parthenon was severely damaged by the Venetians in 1687, I figured that it would be much better to build it as it was when it was constructed thousands of years ago. Because of this, I sort of had to make some guesses about the colors and finer details.

Currently its dimensions are 272x128 studs, and it is 19,464 bricks.

Pictures

overview

front/back (I'm sitting on the steps for size comparison)

side (again I'm there for size comparison)

the doors into the chambers

the east chamber, with the (rather fat) statue of Athena

the west chamber, sadly empty :(

What needs to be done
As mentioned in the topic title, this is still a WIP for the most part. What I need to do is:
  • finish the west chamber - high priority
  • possibly redo the Athena statue
  • add more details to the east chamber
  • add statues on the roof and in the bare area on the front/back (that area has a name but I forget it)
  • add smaller details here and there to make it look less bare

What you can do
Considering that this is a large undertaking for just one person, I'm open to any help that you'd like to give. The ways you can help include:
  • suggesting ways in which the build can be improved
  • suggest things I can add onto the build to make it look less bare
  • help me build - I may or may not be hosting while I'm working on this, so if you want to get on and possibly help do some things you can, with my permission of course

Q&A/references
With this post I'm expecting a few specific replies from those who don't know about Greek architecture or from those who just didn't read a majority of what I typed. So, here are a few predetermined questions/complaints and my response to them; if you ask these in the thread I won't reply to you.

Q: the columns are plain
A: these types of columns are from the Doric order; I really can't get much more detailed than this while still maintaining historical accuracy

Q: there's nothing in the west chamber
A: you're handicapped

Q: the roof/front/back are plain
A: I'll be adding statues later

Q: the walls are plain
A: I'm sort of using the current walls as placeholders, I'll most likely replace the current walls with more detailed/less boring walls later

References for those unfamiliar with Greek architecture:
http://www.utexas.edu/courses/introtogreece/lect11/img22architordrs.html
http://www.willamette.edu/cla/wviews/parthenon/images.htm
http://www.mlahanas.de/Greeks/Arts/Parthenon.htm
http://www.uncp.edu/home/rwb/parthenon_crosssection.jpg
http://www.mlahanas.de/Greeks/Arts/Parthenon/Parthenon1.jpg

You'll notice that the last picture has more than just the Parthenon. This is Acropolis, which I may or may not attempt to build at a later date depending on how many bricks the Parthenon ends up using and whether or not I am feeling lazy.

Hope you like it.

Holy stuff! Nice build!  :cookieMonster:

It's always nice to see builds which were built with great care and understanding of the subject.

I'm really not crazy for the exterior, but the interior is pretty nice.

If you could specify what you're "not crazy" about, that would be useful, instead of leaving me guessing. If it's too plain, blame the Greeks. It isn't my intention to make my own details to make it look better, as far as I've seen there hasn't been a more accurate recreation of the Parthenon in Blockland.

I don't like the exterior...it's got detail I guess, but it's just weird. Although it still isn't bad at all I like the pillars.

Also, I think this topic is way overdone.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 05:05:45 PM by DarthVolga »

The latices in the 4th picture look a bit weird to me. Also I would make athena hold a spear weapon or something

Also, I think this topic is way overdone.
I was bored.  :cookieMonster:

Duckies!
I see those ducks...
Yes, I really had no idea what sculptures to add in the metopes, so I kinda just threw stuff in there. Also I had a very limited space to work with.

The latices in the 4th picture look a bit weird to me. Also I would make athena hold a spear weapon or something
The statue of Athena does have a spear, which I'll try to add later. She isn't exactly holding it, but it's propped up against her shoulder. There's also a snake between her and the shield, and she is holding a small statue of Nike, which is what doomonkey is suggesting. I'll try and add the statue, but it may not look good with how limited my space to work with is.

Very nice, accurate and overall good looking.