Author Topic: My motherboard caught on fire. (And has now died. Choosing new one.)  (Read 3174 times)

Dont do that.
Sparks are bad.
Fire is bad.
Smoke is bad.
Anything that shouldnt be happening on a mobo is bad. Nothing can fix it unless you send it in for repairs or get it replaced.
I fixed a motherboard with a few legos, a penny and a soldering iron. Granted it performed like stuff, but it was enough to save info from my crappy failing hard drives before it completely died in a plume of horrible smelling smoke. But yeah, if one isn't inclined technologically, then leave it to the pros.

Rughugger is a gear head?

If it's a new motherboard contact the company and try and get a replacement. You should contact the company anyway even if you can't get a replacement, they might give you a rebate on a future product or be able to tell you what you did that broke it (if it wasn't a manufacturing defect), and if enough people have the same problem they might issue a recall.

I fixed a motherboard with a few legos, a penny and a soldering iron.
You sound like mcguyver there.

It probably wasnt a fire
I have had numorous sound cards and ethernet cards burn, its from a shock, like, maybe you touched somethin inside, or connected to the inside of your computer? They are so sensitive, you might not have even felt it.
One time my router lit on fire, and it burned the stuff out of my Ethernet card, but it didnt light on fire.

Rughugger is a gear head?
A tinkerer more. I don't have advanced tools to play with but I understand that a motherboard is pretty much plastic and copper. It's just a matter of melting the components, and testing to see if there is a complete circuit. The PC I had before this one was a frankenstein and was a wonder that I was able to keep it working as long as I did. it only had 256MB of RAM but I was able to play WoW and BF2.
You sound like mcguyver there.
Yeah, sometimes I luck out and it works. Other times it doesn't and I end up without an eyebrow for a week.

It probably wasnt a fire
I have had numorous sound cards and ethernet cards burn, its from a shock, like, maybe you touched somethin inside, or connected to the inside of your computer? They are so sensitive, you might not have even felt it.
One time my router lit on fire, and it burned the stuff out of my Ethernet card, but it didnt light on fire.

Static damage doesn't make large brown burns.

You have a very high-end camera.
And no I was being sarcastic.

I read the whole topic and you didn't tell us if you still have an active warranty :O

1. The picture was taken under very stuffty lighting conditions, and of course the metal is reflective so the flash got reflected.
2. The picture itself was compressed to 51kb and downscaled since it wasn't all that high-quality to begin with; I didn't sacrifice much.
3. I don't even know what state my warranty is in. For all it's worth, I may as well just buy another $50 board from a better company.

One time my router lit on fire but it didnt light on fire.

I see.