Author Topic: Water on the Moon!  (Read 2429 times)

NASA spacecraft confirms water ice deposits on moon

Making a bigger splash than expected, the crash of an empty rocket stage in a permanently shadowed crater near the moon's south pole last month kicked up a surprising amount of water ice and vapor, confirming the presence of a potentially valuable resource for future space travelers.

Discuss.

Even if it is, it is way to cold to live up there.  Unless we use solar enerygy like NetWars said to me.  But still.

Its just a ice it can't melt up there unless a man made heat source is created.

What I was thinking was:

Out of water resources? BUY MOON WATER TODAY!!!

(As in importing extra water sources.)

Oh and that project costed $504 million. Just to crash that capsule into the moon. It was only traveling the speed of twice the speed of a rifle bullet.

$504 million

EDIT: US project.

$504 million
This is where our funding is going gentlemen.

I heard about it on NPR

Oh yeah, it did land right on target.

Wee-eelll, to be exact, 210 feet off target, but that's accurate enough.
It was, according to the report, "right on the money".

EDIT:
According to the article, the instruments also worked perfectly, and better than expected in some cases.

"'It could be water, it could be methane, it could be hydrocarbons or organics,' Colaprete said during a pre-impact briefing. 'From a scientific standpoint, this is incredibly important. Whatever the moon has collected over the last 3.5 billion years in terms of water, organics, materials from comets, asteroids, the sun, could be trapped in these pockets on the moon. It's a time capsule, it's a window into the past of the entire inner solar system, of Earth.'

Finding ice on the moon could be critical to future exploration or even colonization. With unlimited solar power, ice can be converted into water, oxygen, and hydrogen rocket fuel. Finding ice on the moon also would raise the possibility of similar deposits in similar environments across the solar system."
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 09:30:56 PM by Conan »

Holy crap ice, that's so...why is that important?

If we wanted to live there: Bring water
If we wanted to grow things there: No soil silly

thats why you get a green house

Hey, water is heavy, so it takes more fuel and energy to transport water up there.
And the more fuel they use, the more smoke is produced.
And the more smoke it produces, the faster global warming comes.
And when mass global warming comes...

Lets just say I don't want to be in California at that time.

EDIT:
This is what the scientists think:
"Water in terms of exploration is very important," Colaprete said. "Even if we don't go back to the moon, it is a principle resource throughout the solar system. On Mars and beyond. The old Mars mantra was 'follow the water.' And really, that extends in my mind through the entire solar system and the entire universe. And so really, LRO and LCROSS are the first directed, focused steps in that direction on the moon."

NetWars said to me.
Yeah bitches, I contribute to threads before they are even up.
Suck it.

What happens when that's gone?  Then again, if we did get farming working, we wouldn't need the water for that.  :cookieMonster:

thats why you get a green house
Yes, let us duct tape a green house to our rocket and put it on the moon. Building a greenhouse on the moon would require its own rocket. and i don't think anybody wants to go up to the moon just to build a glass house.

And when mass global warming comes...
Well it's likely that it won't affect my lifetime. On a similar topic: Government. Caring about today, not giving a stuff about tomorrow.

What happens when that's gone?
Again, not in my lifetime, don't care :P

On a similar topic: Government. Caring about today, not giving a stuff about tomorrow.
This.