Author Topic: [SOLVED] Projectile becomes invisible depending on distance from observer  (Read 1008 times)

Problem:

I have a projectile with custom model (and that's where the problem is) and the model is only shown if you are really close to the projectile. "Really close" being within about a one torque unit (whatever they're called) radius.

When I change projectileShapeName to bullet.dts, it works as expected with no visibility issues.

Solution:

Don't try to do anything fancy with empties named shape or detailX or whatnot, your exporter takes care of that. Just export it normally with the default settings.
I removed all the empties, and let the blender dts exporter "set up the hierarchy automatically" and the projectile was visible at any distance.

Thank you Amade.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 04:04:57 PM by BobAndRob »

this happens with me too.

this happens with me too.
Have you found anything that might help find a solution?

Have you found anything that might help find a solution?
I believe I made a topic on it, brb

I believe I made a topic on it, brb
I searched for one before I started this thread, and I didn't find anything useful.

Seems more like a feature to me :o

Make sure your LOD for your projectile is 0.

Make sure your LOD for your projectile is 0.
I didn't know what LOD was, so I looked it up on wikipedia, now it makes perfect sense. I believe that is my problem, however I attempted to fix it and just made things worse.

According to http://www.torquepowered.com/community/forums/viewthread/73959, the LOD is set by the name of what you parent your model to (i'm using blender). You said to make my LOD 0, so in blender, I created a new empty, named it Detail0, and parented my projectile mesh to it.

Now the projectile does not show up at all.

Don't try to do anything fancy with empties named shape or detailX or whatnot, your exporter takes care of that. Just export it normally with the default settings.

I removed all the empties, and let the exporter "set up the hierarchy automatically" and it worked.

Thank you Amade.