Author Topic: Stuff from Program Files folder deleted :( HALP  (Read 684 times)

I saved a stupid game in there and when I went to uninstall it, the uninstaller started to delete everything in the folder.  I caught it before it did massive damage, but does anyone have a free program that works and can recover data?  I can't seem to access C:/RECYCLED
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 04:33:25 PM by Loz »

Screw it, I don't care anymore.  But if anyone knows of a working program, then post or send me a PM.

Screw it, I don't care anymore.  But if anyone knows of a working program, then post or send me a PM.

I have no idea. What file where you downloading in the first place?

If you use Windows Explorer to peek at the leftover C:\Recycled folder on an upgraded machine, you'll notice that it's basically empty. Seeing is believing, right? Well, my friends, don't believe it. To see what's actually in that folder, you need to install an old DOS file manager such as Stereo Shell (STS) or XTree and navigate to C:\Recycled. (You can find STS or XTree by searching the Internet. To find STS, search for sts_410.zip.) There you'll find directories with names such as DC1 and many .lnk files in those directories.
This help?
Maybe not, because of "upgraded machine," but I'm not genius enough to find anything better.

System Restore
My first thought, but forgot it.
Try it anyway before you do the "enter the C:\Recycled folder" thing.