Author Topic: Win7 32 -> 64  (Read 2264 times)

I have a question that I can't find on google, so I might as well ask here.

If I upgrade from win7 32 bit to win7 64 bit, do I lose my stuff?

why the hell are you updating from Windows 7 32bit to 64bit

it's nothing different; just a version for a different processor, the 64bit

edit:
are you changing the processor?

I'm getting 4gb more ram, and it will probably help my 6 cores not be so confused.

You can't do an upgrade from 32 bit to 64 bit, it isn't possible.

You can only do upgrades from lower versions of Windows to higher versions, like Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit to Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit.

You'll have to either back up your stuff to an external flash drive, CDs, DVDs or a portable hard drive, or just format everything.

God damnit. Now I need to find a way to store 769gb's of stuff :D

God damnit. Now I need to find a way to store 769gb's of stuff :D
If its games and stuff that you can reinstall I suggest just reinstalling it later on, lol.

Looking at it in spacesniffer, I have to back up about 400-500. That's a lot better than 770.

why the hell are you updating from Windows 7 32bit to 64bit

it's nothing different; just a version for a different processor, the 64bit

edit:
are you changing the processor?

lol, please learn things before you speak out of your ass. Most if not all newly released processors support 64bit.

The main reason people use 64bit is its ability to utilize more RAM than 32.

I thought it was more then 3.2 GB's unless its changed in 32 bit.

When I said 32 I meant 32bit.

This is what you do,On  windows 7 install choose the custom option it will then tell you it's going to put all your stuff in a windows old folder (and for the record 32-bit operating systems only can use 2gb of ram)
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 10:47:01 AM by kitty007 »

This is what you do,On  windows 7 install choose the custom option it will then tell you it's going to put all your stuff in a windows old folder (and for the record 32-bit operating systems only can use 2gp of ram)

What the hell is gp?

When you install the 64 bit edition, you don't have to reformat your hard drive. It will just move all your old stuff to a Windows.Old folder (at least your libraries and other system folders, everything else just stays where it is).

God damnit. Now I need to find a way to store 769gb's of research :D

lol, please learn things before you speak out of your ass. Most if not all newly released processors support 64bit.

The main reason people use 64bit is its ability to utilize more RAM than 32.
I need it so my computer doesn't go kaput when I run maya. :P