Poll

Which game should I buy?

Dead Space
17 (53.1%)
Mirror's Edge
15 (46.9%)

Total Members Voted: 32

Author Topic: Mirrors Edge or Dead Space?  (Read 1283 times)

Topic title explains it all, STEAM is having one of their awesome sales again and I am planning on actually buying something this time. :D

But, I ask of you, Blockland, which game should I purchase?

Dead Space is 10 dollars and Mirrors Edge is 5, but price really doesn't have anything to do with the game.

Dead Space, if you like thrill/horror/creepy games.
It's worth the money.
I really liked it

Dead space.

The only game to scare the shiz out of me.

Also little baby squid alien will tear your head off and replace it.

Sort of like what I did to my friend except it was a stuffed animal head.

Dead Space you pusillanimous individual!

Dead Space. Do it.
Scary-ass game.

Sale's over now.
Wait, it's saturday, but it's not changed yet. Huh.

Dead Space. It's far more immersive and a lot less tedious and boring. Like a Metroid Prime for the new age, has some backtracking, but even then it still maintains the fun factor throughout.

Dead Space. It's far more immersive and a lot less tedious and boring.
You just love that word, don't you?  And I don't see how mirror's edge is that tedious.  Sure, there are those bits that just bug out and end up tedious, but that's about 10% of the game. 

I don't see how any can get scared by dead space. It's basically the same thing as having someone jump up in front of you unexpectedly and yell "BOO!"

I've never played Dead Space, but based on what I've heard and seen I say Dead Space. First of all,

Metroid Prime

That's reason enough. I was blown away by Metroid Prime eight years ago and would probably still enjoy it today. But if this game is similar, aces ten. Also, Mirror's Edge felt short. Definitely not rushed, it was well done and the plot/gameplay/level design/puzzle were fresh and interesting while playing them but the replay value is very limited. I'd also like to see another game incorporate that parkour style of moving around.

Yeah, I'm guessing that Mirror's Edge was an experiment, much like Portal.  Hopefully Mirror's Edge 2 is a much longer game.

Yeah, I'm guessing that Mirror's Edge was an experiment, much like Portal.  Hopefully Mirror's Edge 2 is a much longer game.
Mirror's Edge was definitely playing with a gameplay mechanic, but it turned out very well and was a decent length game. It also turned out very polished and all that jazz.

I think "experimentation" games primarily focus around one novel element that's relatively new to gameplay, and most of the game is focused around this. For example, Just Cause 2 would've been an experimentation game if it was focused around the dual grapple hooks. Mirror's Edge is an experimentation game no matter how long or polished it is because it primarily focuses around the freerunning idea.

Now if they figure out a way to integrate that into a larger game, like they did the dual grapples into JC2 (although they didn't have an experimentation game before) then it would be a full fledged game.

Well, it doesn't have to be a bigger game with bigger things to do.  Look at Portal 2, for example.  It's still the same idea, just a much longer game with a few new ideas.  What I'm saying here is that Mirror's Edge 2 could have the same exact gameplay, yet wouldn't be an experiment because more people would be working on it, and it would end up a longer game. 

If there will be mirror's edge 2