Author Topic: Deriving unique games from blockland's emergent gameplay  (Read 1506 times)

I'd like to compile a list (on this post) and start a discussion of theoretical possibilities for games based on the different things which emerge on blockland servers.

Fortwars:  Fortwars has a basis of people getting into teams to build bases and fight others whom have their own bases.  While there are many games which follow a team based fort battling style, there are many unique aspects of fortwars.  The first is that there are many teams of varying sizes;  I'm not sure if that would be something desired to be in a unique game as it might lead to teams being too unbalanced, but it is interesting being able to join another's team or create your own, and allows for continuous gameplay without the need for rounds as new teams are constantly beginning while older teams fade off, all without needing a full round restart to re-balance team advantages.  Another advantage is that players build (and sometimes with the proper scripts, destroy) each other's bases.  While base building is a common aspect of the RTS genre, blockland forwar bases focus less on building the correct buildings to get certain upgrades, and much more on building a small defensible base with a secure spawning and equipping area; and easy access to allow the assault on enemy bases.  Themes for fortwars are commonly the same with modern weapons and a unstandardized base building theme.  I hosted with great success a pirate wars which was basically fort wars where people built their islands before then defending them and trying to raid other's islands.  One could imagine a game based on the fortwars formula to use any theme from medieval to African plains tribes.

Boss Battles: While the idea of boss battles is very very common among video games, there was a somewhat unique chain of servers which died off awhile ago.  The basic premise was that 4 players would fight one player (usually who is in a vehicle) who acted as a boss.  Each time they killed the boss they would progress to the next round where the boss would continue trying to kill them as many times as possible, or in a case where the players had to complete an objective other than kill the boss, keep them from completing that objective.  This might make an interesting party type game with several players competing against one player who controls the equivalent of what would be any computer controlled enemies in a normal game.

Can anyone think of other unique gameplay that emerges from Blockland that could possible make interesting games?  Any comments on my ideas?

Fyi this is in the games category because while it does talk about blockland, it's applying it's gameplay to the possibility of other games.

Family RP: can i b doge

Spear wars where players destroy floor under other players.

Broom sumo, nuff' said.

Spear wars where players destroy floor under other players.
I've been playing this since the release of retail.

Games
Discuss other games

???

Games
Discuss other games

???

This is about Blockland.

inb4 change to general discussion.

This is about Blockland.

is blockland another game?

man some people are handicapped.

Fyi this is in the games category because while it does talk about blockland, it's applying its gameplay to the possibility of other games.
From the main post.  Read before you post please.
man some people are handicapped.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 04:49:48 PM by laremere »

build to survive
I've seen those on Gmod and *gulp* Roblox

Well, those are both sandbox games, so they don't really count as taking an aspect which emerges from a sandbox game and turning it into a full game.

There is a fun game called stranded which has some building elements however, so it's not exactly something which has never been done as a full game.

I've seen those on Gmod and *gulp* Roblox

What's wrong with Roblox?  :cookieMonster: