Author Topic: Which Netbook?  (Read 1700 times)

inb4netbookssuck, I'm looking for a laptop for school that isn't the size of a truck and isn't as expensive as one either. Not an Alienware P.O.S. M11x bullstuff or Core i7 Extreme laptop with 19" widescreen.

Netbook 1

Pro: Next Gen Nvidia ION
Con: Atom processor is single core with hyperthreading (1 physical/1 logical core = two cores)

Netbook 2

Pro: Dual core Atom processor with hyperthreading (2 physical/2 logical = four cores)
Con: First gen ION

Both laptops have 2GB RAM and a 250GB HDD (that I may end up replacing with a SSD in the future maybe whenever they become cheap and my warranty is void). Both are said to handle everything quite well, gaming is said to be handled well on these (light gaming, i.e. low TF2 settings or Civ4).

I just don't know whether I should go for better graphics or better CPU.

Why get a newbook when there are far better laptops with not much larger screens out there for the same price?

What's the difference between Logical and Physical cores?
Also, 2GB RAM sucks.

I can't choose between the netbooks, but you should consider this:
(I own one)
http://www.amazon.com/Acer-Timeline-AS3810TZ-4806-13-3-Inch-Aluminum/dp/B0031M9V7M/ref=sr_1_18?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1283665102&sr=8-18
Pros:
-Lightweight
-Epic battery life
-Metal plating on the top of the case **it fell onto a sharp Christmas ornament and the screen is fine. :D
-4GB of RAM
-320 GB Harddrive
-13 inches
-$100 off normal price
-Full-size keyboard ;D
Cons:
-More expensive
-Not as compact, but still small.
-Receiver is not amazing for long-range internet connections. Heads up.

I've always liked the Eee range...

What's the difference between Logical and Physical cores?
Also, 2GB RAM sucks.
2gb is the acceptable norm at the moment.

2gb is the acceptable norm at the moment.

Wait, I thought it was 4GB.

Most games now recommend 2gb, Most prebuilt pc's come with 2gb, most laptops come with 2gb.

Most games now recommend 2gb, Most prebuilt pc's come with 2gb, most laptops come with 2gb.
I highly doubt there are any games that need 2gb of RAM.
Hell, Blockland never takes up more than 300mb, and it's a pretty RAM intensive game.
Also, I've been looking for a new Laptop, and the options range from 3gb to 6gb, mostly around 4gb.

I'm talking run of the mill pc's you see advertised on tv that you can't customise.

And you've clearly never played GTA IV with every setting on highest.
Just because something "doesn't use that much" doesn't mean you don't need it

Oh blockland never uses more the  300mb, SO i'll stick with 356mb ram

WHAT windows needs ram too? forget windows i'm not buying more.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 02:50:45 AM by tails »

Oh blockland never uses more the  300mb, SO i'll stick with 356mb ram

WHAT windows needs ram too? forget windows i'm not buying more.
I have never seen a game, whether it is Portal, Blockland, Wurm, Minecraft, Roblox, any of the countless RTS games I've played, WoW, runescape (I stopped playing when I turned like, 10), falling sand games, etc. take over 500mb of ram ever. Hell, I can't even make an application myself that takes over 500mb.

Though overall, I was routing for the opposite point, that you should get more R.A.M..

My wow uses 800mb while i'm in dalaran. On really busy days it's gone to about 1.3gb

Pretty much all modern games graphicy games use 500~ ram.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 03:02:32 AM by tails »

My wow uses 800mb while i'm in dalaran.

Pretty much all modern games graphicy games use 500~ ram.
I actually haven't played WoW in years. Maybe it's changed, or you use higher settings.
For all the people who say it's addicting, I just kinda got up one day and quit.