Author Topic: So I accidentally bought a new computer.  (Read 2703 times)

OK guys, remember this topic? Well, as it turns out that model of the motherboard didn't support our high end video capture card so we stepped it up to the UD5R. Same base design with a higher quality chipset and stuff. So out of laziness my brother missed out on the deadline to return the UDR3; he was stuck with a $200 motherboard that was technically in used condition although only for a very short amount of time. Oops!

Anyway, he comes up and asks me if I want to use the motherboard and he will just take it off of the (rather significant) amount of money he owes me. I'm like, "FINE," but then I needed a new CPU and RAM to go along with my new purchase. So, I bought an Intel i7-950 and 6 GB of triple channel RAM from Corsair. I would have just have gotten a 920 but they seem to be discontinued at this point and I don't live near a Micro Center where they are selling their remaining stock for only $200. Darn.

With the upcoming release of the Radeon HD 6000 series I will be using my brother's 5870 card. Until then my 4870 will serve me well.

So, $600 later I have a new computer I didn't really plan on. :cookieMonster:

Old:
Intel E6600 (dual core LOL) @ 3.4 GHz
AMD Radeon HD 4870
EVGA nForce 750i SLI FTW
4 GB DDR2 1066 RAM from OCZ

New:
Intel i7-950 @ 3.06 GHz
AMD Radeon HD 5870
Gigabyte X58A-UD3R
6 GB DDR3 1333 RAM from Corsair (low end XMS3 model)
« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 06:36:05 PM by Otis Da HousKat »

Pretty decent specs but why 6 gigs unless you have 64-bit?

6 GB of triple channel RAM
Learn to read. This topic isn't made for more of your computer bullstuff.

There's no reason to not use Vista and 7 64 bit anyway, unless your processor is from like 2002 and doesn't have the architecture design.

Because only lame people use 32 bit.

There's no reason to not use Vista and 7 64 bit anyway, unless your processor is from like 2002 and doesn't have the architecture design.

I heard 64-bit is incompatible with many programs. Sue me for being wrong. My new laptop that's coming in has 64-bit though.

I heard 64-bit is incompatible with many programs. Sue me for being wrong. My new laptop that's coming in has 64-bit though.
Ya, and what programs are those? Name one that is actually useful and relevant in modern computing.

Because only lame people use 32 bit.
My new laptop that's coming in has 64-bit though.

First of all I'm sorry I misread something.
Second of all sue me for being wrong sometimes.
I'm more of a software guy not a hardware guy.

Ya, and what programs are those? Name one that is actually useful and relevant in modern computing.
Like I said, I heard it from a few people. I don't know for sure.

Like I said, I heard it from a few people. I don't know for sure.
Those people are idiots. You'd be best to ignore them in the future.

Those people are idiots. You'd be best to ignore them in the future.

I will indeed. I am looking forward to my new laptop though. It has a triple core processor.

To my knowledge I believe that triple core processors are quad cores with a disabled core no?
I also heard that you can reactivate that hidden core. If it is possible do you know how to?

I will indeed. I am looking forward to my new laptop though. It has a triple core processor.

To my knowledge I believe that triple core processors are quad cores with a disabled core no?
I also heard that you can reactivate that hidden core. If it is possible do you know how to?
They are indeed four core processors with a disabled core, but as long as things remain as they did when tri-core processors hit the market I do not suggest enabling the extra core.

If you don't know how complex integrated circuits are made here is a simple run down:

For example take the i7-900 series of processors. They all are made from the same base design. When Intel states that it uses 45 nanometer technology it means that 45 nm is the size of each individual transitor on the chip. When the transistors and what have you are etched into the large silicone wafer they aren't all perfectly made. 45 nm is insanely small and any environmental contamination (e.g. dust) can have a significant impact on how the growing process turns out. This is why they use air filtered clean rooms to manufacture chips. So as each batch comes out of the "oven" they are tested. Chips that excel and have very high performance are sold as the i7-980X while a lower yield chip might be sold as the i7-950. Any chip that doesn't meet a minimum performance specification is scrapped or otherwise dealt with in a different manner.

Not every chips functions perfectly and this is where the tri-core came into play. If a batch of quad-core chips had a few units that had a faulty core they could disable it and sell it as a tri-core model. You're not getting a garbage bargain bin chip, it will still work since they have performance standards to enforce. The core may work if you enable it, it may not work and cause problems. Some people have no trouble unlocking their cores and get like 90% of the performance of the fully functioning quad core model, some aren't so lucky. The point is, the core was disabled for a reason.

To answer your real question: you can usually enable the core using a setting in the BIOS. If you really feel the need to unlock it just google how to unlock your CPU's model on that motherboard and whatnot.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 05:19:31 PM by Otis Da HousKat »

They are indeed four core processors with a disabled core, but as long as things remain as they did when tri-core processors hit the market I do not suggest enabling the extra core.

If you don't know how complex integrated circuits are made here is a simple run down:

For example take the i7-900 series of processors. They all are made from the same base design. When Intel states that it uses 45 nanometer technology it means that 45 nm is the size of each individual transitor on the chip. When the transistors and what have you are etched into the large silicone wafer they aren't all perfectly made. 45 nm is insanely small and any environmental contamination (e.g. dust) can have a significant impact on how the growing process turns out. This is why they use air filtered clean rooms to manufacture chips. So as each batch comes out of the "oven" they are tested. Chips that excel and have very high performance are sold as the i7-980X while a lower yield chip might be sold as the i7-950. Any chip that doesn't meet a minimum performance specification is scrapped or otherwise dealt with in a different manner.

Not every chips functions perfectly and this is where the tri-core came into play. If a batch of quad-core chips had a few units that had a faulty core they could disable it and sell it as a tri-core model. You're not getting a garbage bargain bin chip, it will still work since they have performance standards to enforce. The core may work if you enable it, it may not work and cause problems. Some people have no trouble unlocking their cores and get like 90% of the performance of the fully functioning quad core model, some aren't so lucky. The point is, the core was disabled for a reason.

To answer your real question: you can usually enable the core using a setting in the BIOS. If you really feel the need to unlock it just google how to unlock your CPU's model on that motherboard and whatnot.

Thanks for the rundown. I think I'll just keep the core deactive. I was worried about performance issues such as the CPU overheating or something. Thanks.

Not to seem like an idiot, but is this a good thing?

Not to seem like an idiot, but is this a good thing?
Good: new PC with much better new parts
Bad: $600 :(

accidentally bought a new computer
That sounds incredibly loving stupid.