A multi mission server

Author Topic: A multi mission server  (Read 2867 times)

I'm waiting for Truce to make this possible. He has made a lot of things possible that we though was impossible.

The only way you MAY be able to do this, is if someone makes all the maps in one map.

That makes no sense, and is not what I am talking about

Yes, it does.

Currently, it does. I mean if a server can be rewritten so it is not limited to just one.  I think I need to draw a picture.

Currently, it does. I mean if a server can be rewritten so it is not limited to just one.  I think I need to draw a picture.
I know exactly what you mean and that is what I am responding to.

Do not assume any less of me.

My point is: no.

Ok, here is my take on how a server works right now.

The server is the circle (oval whatever) and the playing area is the box.  The clients are the little circles.  Imagine a second box within the server, the oval.  That is what I am talking about.

That is what I am talking about.
Yes. I know. That is what I am saying 'no' to.

Yes. I know. That is what I am saying 'no' to.

I drew the picture more as a diagram for everyone, not just to explain it to you.  I say 'yes.'

I drew the picture more as a diagram for everyone, not just to explain it to you.  I say 'yes.'

When I say "no," it is not indicative of my opinions but rather of my belief, based on my knowledge and experience, that it is not a possibility.

When I say "no," it is not indicative of my opinions but rather of my belief, based on my knowledge and experience, that it is not a possibility.

Ok, I am doing this the same way.  I do not know exactly how this would be done, but I believe it is possible based on my knowledge of the way a server is set up.

Ok, I am doing this the same way.  I do not know exactly how this would be done, but I believe it is possible based on my knowledge of the way a server is set up.
And I believe it is impossible without engine changes based on my vast experience with blockland, the torque engine, TGEA, T3D, and game development in general.

There exist only inefficient, costly (to the point where it goes beyond impractical into just plain stupid) methods of doing this that have little to no pre-existing infrastructure.

Stop saying it's impossible

It isn't
Most of you aren't understanding
He doesn't mean walk to the end of a map to get into another
I think he means you can basically have a "Change map" function that takes you to a different map but on the same server. As he said
"Something about clients and stuff"
It's a pretty valid argument.
But it isn't impossible

bump again for more intelligent responses

Stop saying it's impossible

It isn't
Most of you aren't understanding
He doesn't mean walk to the end of a map to get into another
I think he means you can basically have a "Change map" function that takes you to a different map but on the same server. As he said
"Something about clients and stuff"
It's a pretty valid argument.
But it isn't impossible

I understand him perfectly and I know exactly what he means. The fact of the matter is that, given my experience with Blockland, and the Torque Engines, I would have to say that it is not going to happen without engine changes.

What part of "hey I know what I'm talking about I don't think this is going to happen" don't you get?

I think my opinion on whether or not it is feasible holds more merit than your own given my experience and your lack thereof (which is obvious because if you had any we wouldn't be having this conversation)

rkynick shut up. This would be awesome and i think its possible but everyone ask yourselfs who would make this?
But if this is made i think blockland would be changed forever.
also look at this picture I aciddently took this picture using mirror effects.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 09:03:56 AM by Sario »

Let me tell you a little something. 1) rky is right. 2) This is why, from my own experience:

The Torque engine runs a simulation of all objects on the server. This simulation handles all physics, etc. and is not managed by script. What this means is that even if it were possible to instantiate a second simulation inside the executable without crashing it (which it most likely isn't), we couldn't do it anyway because the ability to do so is not exposed to the scripting engine.

We could of course code our own engine entirely from scratch that can interact with Torque Game Engine clients. This is in fact the most viable solution, and it would take probably a good six months of work at minimum to even be working let alone stable in the right hands or god forbid stable enough for general public use, especially with the kind of morons that we get around here.

The other possible solution is something that has been made before (but not released) called BoxBuild by NiXiLL. Take your diagram that you have down there and inside the context of the 'mission' there is a theoretically infinite number of smaller 'boxes' (it creates more as needed) that players can warp between. They're moderately large (I believe something like 1024 bricks per side - that's 16 64x baseplates), have their own chat and spawning, and even a dedicated minigame within themselves (optional). That's the closest you're going to get - unfortunately NiXiLL has long since stopped playing Blockland, due to how limited the moddability really is.