Author Topic: Can someone explain what a dual core processor is?  (Read 1562 times)

Whats the difference between normal processors and multicore processors?

Its basically two processors.

So if I had a dual core 3GHz processor it would be like running at 6ghz?

So if I had a dual core 3GHz processor it would be like running at 6ghz?
Yus. Also I think it allows you to have dual screens.

Yus. Also I think it allows you to have dual screens.

what no.

Having multiple proccessors increases speed for one screen and/or allows you to support the number of screens which matches that of the proccessors present.

Having multiple proccessors increases speed for one screen and/or allows you to support the number of screens which matches that of the proccessors present.
what the christ
do you not know how screens work

what the christ
do you not know how screens work
Perhaps, what's your point?

Having a dual core 3ghz processor does not mean that it's running at 6ghz.

Dual core processors (and usually any other multi-core processor) use pipelines and an array of other things to process instructions quickly and concurrently. Modern operating systems utilize multi-core technology and use it to speed up the OS. Dual core processors aren't terribly good in today's standards.

Dual core processors (and usually any other multi-core processor) use pipelines and an array of other things to process instructions quickly and concurrently. Modern operating systems utilize multi-core technology and use it to speed up the OS. Dual core processors aren't terribly good in today's standards.
Quad core is where it's at.

ITT: People who don't know stuff about computers claim they know stuff about computers

Having a dual core 3ghz processor does not mean that it's running at 6ghz.
It kinda does, because you can do 3x2 billion calculations per second...

Quad core is where it's at.
Got hexa core bish. Though I got it a bit too early. Most games only use one core, so the other five are useless. Though if a game supports multiple cores. Sweet, sweet eye climaxs.

Okay but one question I really want to know is.

Would this  2.8GHz Dual Core  run games that need this 3GHz(not multicore)?