Author Topic: Map doesn't show up in-game. PROBLEM SOLVED, topic open for discussion.  (Read 3061 times)

When packaging a map, it wont show up ingame.

Right now I have the following in the folder and it still doesnt show up.

mis
ter
namecheck
description
checkerboard_yellow.jpg (extra texture)
map_deepfreezecircuit.jpg (image preview)

But it wont show up ingame. What do I do?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 02:42:56 PM by Blaze0 »

No, you do not need to include the default textures in your folder. I have already told others this and believe my tutorial says this as well... I'll have to check.

As long as you take the textures directly from a default map, you do not need to include them because everyone has the default maps. (hopefully)

Also, the map preview picture does not need to be "Map_asdf" just you map name.

Ok, thanks. So you don't know what is causing it to not show up? This is a real obstacle. Thanks. But it still isnt solved :C

Ok, thanks. So you don't know what is causing it to not show up? This is a real obstacle. Thanks. But it still isnt solved :C

What do you mean by not showing up... like in the directory? As long as it is in your map's folder it will appear in the directory.

Or do you mean that it shows up in the directory, but does not appear when painted onto the terrain? If this is so, the size is probably not 256x256 pixels.

No. The entire map itself does not appear in Start A Game menu. I'm changing topic title so people don't get off to the wrong foot.

No. The entire map itself does not appear in Start A Game menu. I'm changing topic title so people don't get off to the wrong foot.

Have you read over my entire tutorial? I mention the ppossibilities of why this may be. For instance, did you change the name and save name of the map in the mission info?

One other thing... The description document for your map should be titled as your map's name. I don't think a 'description.txt' will appear on the map preview screen.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 01:55:10 AM by Wesley Williams »

For instance, did you change the name and save name of the map in the mission info?
Yes
One other thing... The description document for your map should be titled as your map's name. I don't think a 'description.txt' will appear on the map preview screen.
This is the description document:
Code: [Select]
Title: Deep Freeze Circuit
Author: Deep Freeze
A basic racing map. Deep Freeze's first map, made the day after he learned how to use Mission Editor.

Btw, just for fun, I wanted to post this for you. This is the preview file (deepfreezecircuit.jpg)

Do you like it, for a first map?

Edit: AHA! Realized I need to use PNG for map preview.

BTW, yes, the yellow checkerboard texture is in the zip (Checkerboard_yellow.jpg).
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 02:37:47 PM by Blaze0 »

Actually, holy stuff it worked. I just had to put the FOLDER into my addons folder AS WELL as the ZIP. I'll leave the topic unlocked incase anyone else has this problem/knows what causes it etc

YesThis is the description document:
Code: [Select]
Title: Deep Freeze Circuit
Author: Deep Freeze
A basic racing map. Deep Freeze's first map, made the day after he learned how to use Mission Editor.

Edit: AHA! Realized I need to use PNG for map preview.

BTW, yes, the yellow checkerboard texture is in the zip (Checkerboard_yellow.jpg).

Cool, but the description document should be named "yourmapnamehere.txt", yes? And JPEGs work fine for the map preview, except that other players will not download them (apparently, although I believe I've downloaded JPEGs before)

Actually, holy stuff it worked. I just had to put the FOLDER into my addons folder AS WELL as the ZIP. I'll leave the topic unlocked incase anyone else has this problem/knows what causes it etc

No, if your map does not work as a .zip alone then it is not a functioning map. The .zip should have everything the folder has, and cannot have any folders contained inside it. You have some wacked up problem going on here...

Actually you should not need to do that.   I would take the zip file out and then get the map working.   Otherwise when you send it to somebody its not gonna work.

Im guessing there is something in the zip file missing from the map folder, and something in the map folder missing from the zip file.

Once you get it working with the folder, you can just make a zip of it and your done.