Author Topic: Iban Explains it All  (Read 24381 times)

if you're resorting to a hack you're already reaching a point of desperation and ethics are irrelevant.
Haha, coding ethics.

But in general, you're right. The only time I've ever had to overwrite a function is when dealing with chat (and I included all 'core' functionality). Almost everything else can and should be packaged.

I would just like to note that Stocking is 100% correct.  :cookieMonster:

P.S. There is absolutely no way that I know of to freely spawn debris on their own.

I would just like to note that Stocking is 100% correct.  :cookieMonster:

As usual.

I would just like to note that Stocking is 100% correct.

He's correct, but sometimes there's simply no other way to do something.

Try a trace for when derbies are spawned.
Remind me how to trace... I havent needed to use that in a while ._.

P.S. There is absolutely no way that I know of to freely spawn debris on their own.
Fack. :/

Remind me how to trace... I havent needed to use that in a while ._.
goto console: ~
trace(1);
go out of console: ~

do something

You people are loving stupid. I just explained that the debris are created by the engine. I'm not even sure if debris are networked, I'm almost positive that the state system generates debris on the client side and therefore cannot be created by server scripts unless you make an explosion that also uses debris.

Explosions and WeaponImages are networked. Debris (aside from their datablocks) are not.

The reason for this might be that if you have a complex object designed to explode into a million debris objects. it would be horribly network inefficient for every debris object to be created on the server then transfered to the client over the Internet and then Instantiated. That's what ROBLOX does, and that's why ROBLOX takes 8 seconds from pushing the mouse button to seeing the explosion of a rocket.

Google docs is being a richard could someone upload them?

Do you plan to make any more of these?

I don't really have a lot of freetime to sit down and fiddle with TS anymore, but if you want to bring up which ones you wanted to see again I absolutely wouldn't mind trying.

A while back I attempted to make some kind of "spawnDebris" event, which entirely failed due to this. The only two methods for creating debris objects are by weaponimages and explosions... and the only method for creating explosions is by projectiles. So that's three datablocks per type of debris you want spawned.

You also can't hack it like changing the debris type of the explosion beforehand  - it's not updated for clients and the hacky transmitDatablocks function wouldn't work in time/also affect debris spawning anywhere else at the same time. It's entirely possible to have one client seeing a different number of debris objects to another (change the number spawned in the tank explosion and don't update it for someone) which means that you can't get object IDs or anything of them from the server.

I was looking through city RPG code because almost every function is packaged, and liked the way the appearance system worked. I was wondering where the defaults are applied through sassy. I cannot seem to find the place where it sets all the default things such as money. I see where the scriptobject is created but cannot seem to find where, or how, the defaults are applied when someone new enters the server.

I do not help with anything involving CityRPG for obvious reasons.

I do not help with anything involving CityRPG for obvious reasons.
Doesn't seem obvious to me. I asked a question hoping I could learn more about databases.